Fuel hose pipe warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I don't know if you are aware but a lot have people have been using R9 fuel lines to cope with the extra ethanol in fuel but apparently there is a big problem with certain makes of R9 hose cracking after a short time. I got some from Advanced Fluid Solutions and it is cracking and have used it on 2 of my cars . I did a quick search on the Internet on R9 fuel hose pipe cracking and was very shocked to find it's a big problem and other poor quality fuel hose being sold across Ebay and Amazon.
It appears that Gates do a good quality fuel hose so that's what I am going to buy from either Car Builder Solutions or my local motor factor's.

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_102429.jpg
    IMG_20230225_102429.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230225_102413.jpg
    IMG_20230225_102413.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230225_102355.jpg
    IMG_20230225_102355.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 19

candy red

Club Member
I don't know if you are aware but a lot have people have been using R9 fuel lines to cope with the extra ethanol in fuel but apparently there is a big problem with certain makes of R9 hose cracking after a short time. I got some from Advanced Fluid Solutions and it is cracking and have used it on 2 of my cars . I did a quick search on the Internet on R9 fuel hose pipe cracking and was very shocked to find it's a big problem and other poor quality fuel hose being sold across Ebay and Amazon.
It appears that Gates do a good quality fuel hose so that's what I am going to buy from either Car Builder Solutions or my local motor factor's.
How long had your fuel pipe been fitted before you found this problem?
Had a similar problem on my car fuel sprayed over the engine and exhaust manifold luckily I had the bonnet up when I started it so turned it of strap away so no the was hot ,I’ve since had all my fuel pipe’s changed .🤓

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
About 2 years and I thought I had brought from a reliable source but like I said do a search on R9 fuel hose cracking and loads will come up. It appears to ge a very common problem.

Geoff-R

Club Member
This is concerning. Is it a result of the fuel used, are you using E5 or E10 or is it literally a case of the hose being poor quality?

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
This is concerning. Is it a result of the fuel used, are you using E5 or E10 or is it literally a case of the hose being poor quality?
It appears to be poor quality hose being passed off as being suitable.

johnymd

Club Member
I've replaced fuel hoses on my zeds many times when using R6 or R9 hose. It only lasts a year or so then starts cracking. I only use the expensive named brands now. Gates are really good. Interestingly, on my blue car I reused the original (1990's) rubber from the lexus engine. It is still very flexible and no signs of cracking. I think its just that all the unbranded hoses are very poor quality and not fit for purpose. I will generally try to use Teflon (nylon) hose as much as possible then branded rubber if I cant.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
My blue 1990 metro has all the original fuel lines fitted apart from one which a mouse decided to eat and I have had to changed it twice now due to cracking .
i was looking at getting the original hose but oem fuel lines are not easy to find.

Faster Behr

Club Member
Isn't it shocking how this sort of junk is sold as being suitable; and it really is nothing new. I was warned years ago by my mechanic mentor to use branded hose - namely Gates stuff. Same for anything else rubber. The only thing I'd use cheap fuel hose on is my lawnmower.