Fuel gauge

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Hey guys as im working through my 260's minor problems ive come across this one.
The petrol gauge doesn't have a read out its constantly at below empty i know there is fuel in there as i just put a gerry cans worth in. im not brilliant at electrics but i want to give this a go myself as thats the plan with this car to do it all myself. My question is where do i start? should i take apart the dash to get to the guage or should i start elsewhere? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Craig

Mr.G

Club Member
Usually always nothing wrong with the gauge, most common cause is that a wire has come loose on the sender on the tank. I'd check their first.

The other common issue is that if the fuel tank has recently been removed and the sender removed, then if the arm of the sender (which sits in the fuel) is not put in the right way round it will be showing empty when there is fuel in it.

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
ah i see what you mean, Is the correct way around in a haynes? i shall check the sender on the tank and go from there thanks man

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
How about the gauge glass mounting?

On our 1971 FairladyZ-L (a homemarket 240Z ...) the glass for the fuel-amp guage has "slid down", apparently come loose.
Can't figure out if it was attached to the actual gauge, or the dashboard ...
How and to what do I refasten the glass so it won't come loose when wiping it clean?
As it's right-hand drive, removing the glovebox to get at it doesn't work; the heater blower motor and ducts are in the way ... so remove the center console to get at it?

Need to get it re-set, fastened, etc.

Help much appreciated.

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I Didn't wanna start yet another thread for only a quick second opinion so dug this one up. Ive been having trouble lately with fueling and had been speaking to Mike over at MJP about available viable options. We got speaking and the topic of a blanking plate for the original pump came up. What was described sounded similar to what i seem to already have so my question is do i not have a standard unit here? and if its what i think it is (a red top) should i not also have a Fuel pressure regulator with it too?
20130603_114645.jpg

20130603_114704.jpg

Stockdale

Club Member
I have had similar problems and it turned out to be a binding sender-unit (the float hinge corroded). It isn't a huge job and it may be best to eliminate this as a source before turning to anything else.

Mr.F

Inactive
That is an aftermarket Facet pump and should be running some sort of pressure regulator. You already have what we talked about this morning...

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
ah I see as soon as you mentioned the blanking plate i thought something was up. I may have found my trouble then, as far as i can see there is no regulator in place its straight onto the rail so that wont be helping any.

atomman

Club Member
With my car the sender was at fault,the wires on track were broken,

If you take the wires off the sender and touch them together the gauge should go to full, that way you know its the sender not the guage or the wires,

I would change out those cracked fuels lines to,

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
the sender issue is fixed guys read to the bottom of the thread lol but thanks for the replies though :p