FS5C71B 240Z gear box?

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
Hello, all

I am searching and want to understand what Datsun Do with Z gear box because I would to rebuilt our FS5C71B gear box for our 240Z GR4 project (need to be close to FIA regulation)

But I can’t find some information about this gear box model

A small passage about FS5C71A can be finding in the 240Z 260Z Haynes but nothing about the B series…

Probably this gear box model was only an European delivery, I notice that this model appears here after Jan 72 on 240Z (before here the 240Z have the A series model)
The 260Z (here only in 2+2) also have this gear box until 1978 after it have the FS5W71B like 1979 280ZX

Someone could confirm that?

I think that the W in the name was to identify for gear box with Warner synchromesh
And C was to identify gear box with Porsches synchromesh

And A or B describe the case
A 3 parts case
B 2 parts case with different lever

Right?

Any help will be welcome; if someone has documentation about FS5C71B I am interested
I already have something about FS5C71A if the only difference is the case

Thanks you

Benoit

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I am searching and want to understand what Datsun Do with Z gear box because I would to rebuilt our FS5C71B gear box for our 240Z GR4 project (need to be close to FIA regulation)

You are using a 5sp OD standard road transmission on a Group 4 spec race car?

bpaccaudjanspeedZ said:
Probably this gear box model was only an European delivery......
No. It would be more accurate to state that they were available in all markets except USA & Canada from early 1972 onwards. Don't forget that the biggest single market for these transmissions was ( ahem ) Japan, and that they were not exclusive to the Z models.......

bpaccaudjanspeedZ said:
I think that the W in the name was to identify for gear box with Warner synchromesh.
bpaccaudjanspeedZ said:
And C was to identify gear box with Porsches synchromesh

'W' was indeed Warner type bronze alloy synchros, and 'C' was the Servo ( Porsche patent ) steel synchros, but a better mnemonic for the 'B' type transmissions is that 'C' = close ( ratios ) and 'W' = wide ( ratios ), since there were both FS5C71B and FS5W71B versions, and synchro-type fitment was not 100% consistent. On early transmissions, you can even find both Servo and Warner synchros fitted inside the same transmission from the factory........

bpaccaudjanspeedZ said:
Any help will be welcome; if someone has documentation about FS5C71B I am interested
bpaccaudjanspeedZ said:
I already have something about FS5C71A if the only difference is the case

The 'A' type and 'B' type transmissions are completely different designs. If any parts were shared between them, it is only through coincidence. You can't mix and match between them, so if you have a 'B' type trans you should look for 'B' type-specific data and disregard 'A' type data.

I have data, but I'm not sure what specific data you need?

Attachments

• FS5C71B-service-manual-1.jpg
    FS5C71B-service-manual-1.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 79

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for your answer

Yes, the project was to built a GR4 spec Z
But first time the car need also be able to take the road, so we have make some compromise and also for money reason.... we keep the original gear box

Later the car will change to be better for track and we will see

Ask to Sean it could explain you what is the project exactly

It’s seems(for me) to be the better original gear box (FS5C71B) for the 240Z; later we will see perhaps for better gear box ,but what is the better :

Find and S13 or S14 gear box and not be good with the rules,
Or find an FIA homologated close ratio gear box but where and at how many €?
Or keep the original but homologuated gear box

For the moment I prefer keep this original gear box

So if all is different between FS5C71A and B, yes I need documents to refer to rebuilt this gear box

And as it ‘s a student project; my student will works with this documents to learn more technical English and learn to analyze and rebuilt the gear box

Or I have also technical document about FS5W71B can I use them for the FS5C71B if all are the same except the synchromesh

I am very interested by the service manual if you could scan it or have already in pdf

I need particularly all the procedure to dismantle and control all the internal parts and adjust / reassembling it (torque value, lash play control between shaft, gear….)

Or the parts about the Porsche type syncho’s, if all is the same to W model

Thanks you

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I think the best thing for me to do is to scan the factory booklet for the FS5C71B and send it to you as a PDF. It's about 17 pages long, so you'll have to wait until I get an hour or so with the scanner to do it. I presume it's not urgent?

In the meantime, please PM me with your e-mail address so that I can send the PDF to you.

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
Ok thanks you, It's very cool to do that

my adress is: paccaudb@aol.com
Any idea about where to find parts to rebuilt the gearbox like: synchro rings, i need the 5 gear wheel also, nuts....I will test at Nissan first but...

And I think that for bearing i could find them in heavy duty

Hummeluhr

Forum User
Fs5c71b

Hi !

I have seen this topic from 2009 !

I have an 1973 5 speed gearbox i will overhaul !

Do you have a manual to this gearbox -- i will be very happy, if you will send this to me -- i have mail hummeluhr@tdcadsl.dk

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Jorgen Hummeluhr

You are using a 5sp OD standard road transmission on a Group 4 spec race car?

No. It would be more accurate to state that they were available in all markets except USA & Canada from early 1972 onwards. Don't forget that the biggest single market for these transmissions was ( ahem ) Japan, and that they were not exclusive to the Z models.......

'W' was indeed Warner type bronze alloy synchros, and 'C' was the Servo ( Porsche patent ) steel synchros, but a better mnemonic for the 'B' type transmissions is that 'C' = close ( ratios ) and 'W' = wide ( ratios ), since there were both FS5C71B and FS5W71B versions, and synchro-type fitment was not 100% consistent. On early transmissions, you can even find both Servo and Warner synchros fitted inside the same transmission from the factory........

The 'A' type and 'B' type transmissions are completely different designs. If any parts were shared between them, it is only through coincidence. You can't mix and match between them, so if you have a 'B' type trans you should look for 'B' type-specific data and disregard 'A' type data.

I have data, but I'm not sure what specific data you need?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Greetings Jorgen,

I will send some scans of the official Nissan manuals for the FS5C71-B transmission to your e-mail address later tonight.

Best regards,
Alan T.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Jorgen,
I tried to send the manual to your e-mail address last night, but received this error message:

computer says no said:
This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason

ansk forklaring, klik her:TDC - Postmaster - Fejlmeddelelser - MTA: Fyldt postkasse

The users mailbox contains too much data (see user(s) listed below).The user must empty the mailbox (on TDCs mailserver, not local mailbox),before any new mail can be delivered.You can try send your message again later (or inform the user, in another way).

I will try again later today.

jcote75

New Forum User
Hi,

I'm Joce from Canada.

I've been searching a lot about that gearbox and don't find much info.

I have a receipt that this transmission was install on my 240Z by the previous owner but I would like to be sure what that is excatly what I have.

Here is a picture of the gearbox.

Is there anyway you can identify this gearbox?

Thanks in advance,
Joce

Attachments

• 5 speed.JPG
    5 speed.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 65

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
At the rear of the G/box extension housing below the gearstick/shifter, there are either one or two "ears" that are meant to secure the exhaust. I can see one on yours. The early 280zx box had two and the later "close ratio" box had one.

Hummeluhr

Forum User
Hi !

Is there somewhere in UK where i can buy synchros for FS5C71B -- the steel Porsche synchros !

SW in Austarlia have them, but is there a shop in UK where i can buy them ?

- SW Motorsport

Best regards
Jorgen Hummeluhr

Gearhead Frank

New Forum User
Hello all. I purchased a Datsun 240Z B Series, Dog Leg, Steel Synchro, race transmission. Would anyone be able to tell me whether that is an FS5C71B or an F5C71B or hopefully I have those numbers right. The only number stamped on top of the bell housing is 719480 and I would be eternally grateful for anyone that would have a service and/or parts manual and some information on where I could buy parts for this transmission. Thanks

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
To clarify:

'F5C71B' is Direct Drive (top gear is 1:1 ratio) 5 speed with 'Dogleg' shift pattern.
'FS5C71B' is Overdrive (top gear is 0.864: ratio) 5 speed with conventional H shift pattern.

F5C71B - FS5C71B transmissions.JPG

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Hello all. I purchased a Datsun 240Z B Series, Dog Leg, Steel Synchro, race transmission. Would anyone be able to tell me whether that is an FS5C71B or an F5C71B or hopefully I have those numbers right. The only number stamped on top of the bell housing is 719480 and I would be eternally grateful for anyone that would have a service and/or parts manual and some information on where I could buy parts for this transmission. Thanks

The numbers stamped on the bellhousing don't usually mean much in terms of identification. Unless you already have data on what you've bought, you would need to take the case apart and count the gear & countergear teeth in order to ascertain whether it is an Option 1, Option 2, Option 3 or 'Rally' Option version.

Parts are few and far between. I have two of these gearboxes and some NOS spare parts, but probably nothing that you will need in the way of service parts (synchro rings?). What do you need?

F5C71B NOS kit.jpg