Front & Rear Glass locking strips

TheHulkGB

Club Member
Hi guys,
I’ve been told by the restorer that my 260z 2+2 is missing the locking strips for both front and back screens. I don’t know what I should be looking for! :EXTRAconfused: Can anyone help?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Not quite sure what he means? Both screens are held in place by the seals. There is a trim that fits within the rubber seal channel (which is often missing due to damage or personal preference) but it does in no way help retain the window.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Maybe he means the little joining pieces?

Cortina-2-Front-Joiner-big.jpg

TheHulkGB

Club Member
Not quite sure what he means? Both screens are held in place by the seals. There is a trim that fits within the rubber seal channel (which is often missing due to damage or personal preference) but it does in no way help retain the window.
I think he means the chrome strips

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Dan, I seem to remember from years ago (not Zs) that the strips prevent the rubber from distorting and so help to keep the screen in place on old cars. Have I dreamt it?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ah - looking at the old pics of your car I think I get it now.

Window rubbers for Z's can be had in two flavours - with or without chrome trim. Don either bought the wrong ones or didn't refit the chrome trim.

To the uninitiated, the gap meant for the chrome trim might look like a space for a wedge of rubber that would force the rubber tight against each side (which Z's don't have):

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Window rubbers for Z's can be had in two flavours - with or without chrome trim. Don either bought the wrong ones or didn't refit the chrome trim.

I remember from his original thread that he bought the aftermarket "Euro"/'Cal look' smooth rubbers, which do not have the OEM stainless trim sections.

So, decision to be made. Going with OEM style rubbers will require sourcing of the correct stainless trims (2+2 specific), whilst sticking with the aftermarket smooth rubbers will not.

The stainless channels probably help keep the rubbers in shape - especially around the corners - but they were not vital for sealing. The car can tend to look a little 'something missing' without them though...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I remember from his original thread that he bought the aftermarket "Euro"/'Cal look' smooth rubbers, which do not have the OEM stainless trim sections.

index.php

Zooming in on this picture at least the rear seal seems to have the trim channel so Don either thought he'd bought the smooth ones or just refitted the old ones.

Edit, just looked back through the old thread:

273db552a5c2389399645c22671cef18.jpg

johnymd

Club Member
I think the confusion is from the fact that lots of older cars had a wedge that was forced into the window rubbers that prevented the glass from coming out and the installer has assumed the grove in the zed rubbers is for that. As has been said, this is not the case with the zed.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Zooming in on this picture at least the rear seal seems to have the trim channel so Don either thought he'd bought the smooth ones or just refitted the old ones.

Didn't he fit a new front screen rubber after the car had been painted?

Looks like the aftermarket 'smooth' type in this photo:

Screen-1.jpg

...or is it just me? I certainly remember him mentioning the 'smooth' type.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I used plastic trim on my 240Z - chrome look. It looks better with than without.