Front bumper trim

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Whilst I'm restoring a UK RHD car I will be installing indicators below the chrome bumper as per the JDM /US market.
Can anyone confirm if the JDM set up bumpers came with the rubber trim as I only have US spec parts manual to refer to.
Car is re-painted in its silver so thinking no black trim may actually look quite good

thanks

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm sure @Albrecht will confirm, but I believe the cars came in different trim levels in Japan - some with rubber trim on the bumpers and some without.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, as Jon says, Japan generally got a choice of two levels of trim for each of several different S30-series Z models.

Japanese 'S'/'Std'/'Standard' models came without the rubber bumper trim, but it could be ordered as an extra cost option. These bumpers had no holes for the bumper trim, but did have the holes (blanked by a grommet) for the extra cost option over-riders.

Japanese 'D'/'Dx'/'Deluxe' models came with the rubber bumper trim as stock equipment, but theoretically could be deleted by special order.

All 'Export' market cars got the rubber bumper trim as standard equipment, with no delete option.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Thanks for the full response. I've two options to consider:
1. Use my UK bumper that needs rechroming but prices are c£500, will have the unused indicator holes to be addressed and have original still in the packet Nissan rubber trim to put back on it.
2. Buy a new bumper without the rubber bumper trim or UK indicator holes thus creating what I think will be a clean chrome line against the silver paint, sell current bumper and NOS trim.
I know it comes down to personal choice and I'm not trying to be totally original in my resto, but as a newbie I do want to have some method to my madness (!) ,so given my NOS (new IKI) indicators will sit below the bumper option 2 does produce a JDM style overall result?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I think the repro bumpers without rubber trim have become relatively popular in recent years (probably because people were offered the option by the manufacturer) but not all that many people realise where the look originally came from.

I wouldn't worry whether it makes the car look 'JDM' or not, but it might be worth noting that the Japanese market front indicator units actually had TWO bulbs inside them, as they doubled up as side lights/running lights/parking lights as well as indicators. I should imagine yours are single bulb units?