Front Bumper chroming

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Folks, what's the going rate for bumper chroming?

I've just been quoted £220!

richiep

Club Member
I asked about re-chroming a rear bumper centre bar at a metal platers in Crewe, and was quoted £360 (that didn't include the ends). At this point, given chroming prices, unless originality is absolutely essential for pedantic reasons, I now longer believe there is a strong case for re-chroming original bumpers. The new steel reproductions can be had for the same or less money even.

Although - where was that quote from Rob? it's pretty competitive!

Ian

Club Member
At this point, given chroming prices, unless originality is absolutely essential for pedantic reasons, I now longer believe there is a strong case for re-chroming original bumpers. The new steel reproductions can be had for the same or less money even.
Except that you do not get as good a lustre from polished stainless as you do from chrome.

status

Well-Known Forum User
London chrome company in se London was the place to get chrome done not sure if they are still going,will be getting a quote from a place in Braintree Essex very soon if any one is interested

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Except that you do not get as good a lustre from polished stainless as you do from chrome.

True and why those companies now offer a chromed service on top of the stainless-steel. I negociated a members' price for our club here and I wouldn't bother rechroming - hassle, more expensive and I've been let down in the past by the lasting quality.
Sell your second-hand bumpers and buy new !

That said, there is an aurgument for remaining true to originality...

Preet - if you guys sent some (even shagged, rusted) examples to one of these companies, they'd produce them....the problems is perhaps quantities and the sheer varieties used on different saloon/estate/coupés and then different year models. You guys' problem is not that there weren't enough cars sold (I'm sure plenty more than S30s), more that they've not survived for diverse reasons.

I'd like to see a stainless kit to convert 280ZXs but that'll never happen.

richiep

Club Member
I should’ve been clearer - I didn’t mean the stainless ones, I was referring to the chromed steel ones now plentifully available. With those in circulation, rechroming originals doesn’t much financial sense, especially once you include additional work like removing surface rust inside, getting any dings sorted, etc.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I junked the old original chrome bumpers on my old Mustang as they were bent slightly and badly pitted and bought some new repros from the US and they were shocking. Not that they didn't fit - they did, but the standard of chrome work on them was dire!
And I had some parts chromed here in the UK - hard to find parts and not available as repros. I paid a lot for some work and it was awful and took forever. I'd go local next time for sure (even if it cost a few extra £££).

Ian

Club Member
I was referring to the chromed steel ones now plentifully available.
Has there been a general consensus on which companies make good quality well fitting ones?

I will likely need at least the front bumper for mine but I am not sure which company to use. There seems to be conflicting info on fitment.

those companies now offer a chromed service on top of the stainless-steel. I negociated a members' price for our club here
Is this the Harrington ones?

C42

Forum User
Hi Rob

Is the place reasonably local to you, I need to get a couple of bumpers rechromed shortly.

Regards
John

True and why those companies now offer a chromed service on top of the stainless-steel. I negociated a members' price for our club here and I wouldn't bother rechroming - hassle, more expensive and I've been let down in the past by the lasting quality.
Sell your second-hand bumpers and buy new !

That said, there is an aurgument for remaining true to originality...

Preet - if you guys sent some (even shagged, rusted) examples to one of these companies, they'd produce them....the problems is perhaps quantities and the sheer varieties used on different saloon/estate/coupés and then different year models. You guys' problem is not that there weren't enough cars sold (I'm sure plenty more than S30s), more that they've not survived for diverse reasons.

I'd like to see a stainless kit to convert 280ZXs but that'll never happen.

How much did you get the members price down to?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Is this the Harrington ones?
No. We had some fitment issues for the rear of a 2+2 and corrected their measurements - all ok now...they just need some constructive feedback.

How much did you get the members price down to?

Why don't you email me anymore like a mate ?:)

And why isn't anyone in this club negociating with various suppliers ?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
No. We had some fitment issues for the rear of a 2+2 and corrected their measurements - all ok now...they just need some constructive feedback.

Why don't you email me anymore like a mate ?:)

And why isn't anyone in this club negociating with various suppliers ?

We are - I got GAZ discount, waiting for someone to get me some bumpers for £50

Dan