Front Brakes conversion

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Hey all

I´m thinking about upgrading my front brakes to 4-piston calipers. I´ve found some conversion threads on hybridz etc.. but I wonder if anyone has found calipers from "euro"cars that fit.

This is the site I´m talking about:
TOYOTA CALIPERS ON YOUR Z-CAR!
It talks about One set of four-piston calipers from Toyota 4wd Truck (1979-1984)

Could a hilux or something from those years also work ? Or does anyone else know about a relatively cheap conversion ?

edit: I found a thread here explaining the details.. so topic closed. Ill give it a go
http://zclub.net/forum/240z-260z/11436-pug-hilux-brake-conversion.html

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
A very comprehensive, acccurate and informative posting by john-h that needs little more detail, except to say that as an alternative, you can also use the pre-73 Range Rover Calipers with a 5mm alloy spacer to do the same job.

A far as I can remember, though, the Toyota ones are a little bit lighter than the R/Rover ones, if anyone else can comment on that aspect.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Not sure how good your brakes need to be - do you want more powerful brakes or better cooled standard brakes. Also what dia wheels are you using?

I have for sale a pair of spaced calipers for use with Pug ventilated discs - therefore better cooling. Ok with 14" wheels.

I currently use Range Rover calipers and the Pug discs. I might be changing these. Ok with 15" wheels and have used with 14" but spacers needed. Very heavy.

Both of the above are upgrades but my advice is to buy something like the DJ Kit. You will have plenty of braking and cooling plus easy fitment (I assume). However 15" wheels needed.

Toyota may be ok but I have no experience of these.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
A very comprehensive, acccurate and informative posting by john-h that needs little more detail, except to say that as an alternative, you can also use the pre-73 Range Rover Calipers with a 5mm alloy spacer to do the same job.

A far as I can remember, though, the Toyota ones are a little bit lighter than the R/Rover ones, if anyone else can comment on that aspect.

Is this the thread you are talking about Duncan
http://zclub.net/forum/s30-240z-260...teering/11436-pug-hilux-brake-conversion.html

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure how good your brakes need to be - do you want more powerful brakes or better cooled standard brakes. Also what dia wheels are you using?

I have for sale a pair of spaced calipers for use with Pug ventilated discs - therefore better cooling. Ok with 14" wheels.

I currently use Range Rover calipers and the Pug discs. I might be changing these. Ok with 15" wheels and have used with 14" but spacers needed. Very heavy.

Both of the above are upgrades but my advice is to buy something like the DJ Kit. You will have plenty of braking and cooling plus easy fitment (I assume). However 15" wheels needed.

Toyota may be ok but I have no experience of these.

Rob,

I´m getting a new engine soon from RallymanDP and I still have the standard brake setup. I want to be sure I will not end up in a field somewhere. I have 16x8 wheels with a 0 offset. I am interested in that PUG+range rover kit, I´m guessing its nearly a bolt-on conversion without spacers?

What are those spaced calipers and a DJ kit ?

Here is an older picture of my front brakes
260z004_2.jpg

ps. hey duncan, how´s it going in Z land ? I am fixing some small things on my Z to make sure the trip to England doesn´t end up in tears :D

Last edited by a moderator:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I have the toyota calipers on my car and I'm very happy with the way they perform so far.

zpictures001-1.jpg

Zpictures001.jpg

I used Dave Jarmans disc kit on the rear and that also works very well, Though you may need to play about with the handbrake a bit to get it right.

carcrap010.jpg

Rob

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Vpulsar, those look really great and quite a difference in comparison to my calipers !

I take I can use those Toyota Calipers on the standard rotors as well ? My budget does not allow me to spend large amounts right now, so I´m just focusing on the calipers. I take it round 75 % of the braking is done by the front brakes so the front is the most important.

I think when the rear drums are worn, I will look for a disc conversion

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Vpulsar, those look really great and quite a difference in comparison to my calipers !

I take I can use those Toyota Calipers on the standard rotors as well ? My budget does not allow me to spend large amounts right now, so I´m just focusing on the calipers. I take it round 75 % of the braking is done by the front brakes so the front is the most important.

I think when the rear drums are worn, I will look for a disc conversion

Vpulsar just bought a kit from the USA. I have fitted the same kit to another car. Its fine. Its not expensive either.
Your life and that of your car is at risk if its fitted with poor/faulty/substandard brakes. Why put all that in jeopardy for the sake of this...
front brake upgrade kit datsun 240z, 260z, 280z vented - eBay (item 200338948431 end time Feb-23-11 19:07:37 PST)

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
The standard disc's wont work with these calipers, Just buy the whole kit but bin the brake lines because they're shit lol, I just used the Goodridge ones I already had.

Rob

mainy

Club Member
Mainy

On one of my cars i used Cosworth 4 pot Calipers and Peugot 505 Vented Discs. They seem to work very well.

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
There is a Toyota caliper there will work with stock discs, just can't remember what year 4 runner (HiLux) it comes from.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My budget does not allow me to spend large amounts right now, so I´m just focusing on the calipers.

TBH, until you have a bit of spare cash I'd stick with standard brakes as long as they are in good condition and fit good quality pads and shoes.

Anything you do on a small budget will be a stop-gap (no pun intended) and you'll still want to upgrade later. Standard brakes are ok unless you are doing track-work, especially the rears. Speaking from experience here.

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
TBH, until you have a bit of spare cash I'd stick with standard brakes as long as they are in good condition and fit good quality pads and shoes.

Anything you do on a small budget will be a stop-gap (no pun intended) and you'll still want to upgrade later. Standard brakes are ok unless you are doing track-work, especially the rears. Speaking from experience here.

Rob, yes you´re right. I´ll see what Duncan has lying around, and make up my decision. The standards, which are in good shape will have to do for now :)
Thanks for the advice !