From Original su style to triple webers or janspeed turbo?

jaydeescuba

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all
I'm looking for opinions/advice or suggestions, with reasons please ladies and gents
Scenario

You have an early 240z Super Sam but with the original twin su type carb setup.
They need cleaning/servicing etc.
You also have a period Janspeed turbo conversion kit.
Your engine has been blessed by Spike.
My question is -
Do you stick with the su? For economy etc
Or swap for the turbo? Fit power/torque
Or try and obtain some period webers to return it to Original Sam spec?
oh and the turbo is a 1979 Rotamaster
Thanks

johnymd

Club Member
Turbo setup would be quite cool but may detract from being a Sam.
I'd go with 40 webers. They don't have to be poor on fuel. Mine return over 30 to the gallon on a run with a mild 2.8 engine. It did take a really good rolling road and a lot of time getting them just right. It is hard to find one with a good stock of jets, emulation tubes and chicks so most will compromise and you end up with poor fuel economy.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I agree with John.

I think a good pair of SUs (2" if poss) can give good performance however when people look under the bonnet or talk/buy modified 240Zs they want triple twin-choke carbs. They just look more sporty. Of course they do give added power if your engine is of high enough spec to need them.

Try cleaning and servicing the SUs first and see how you go. Sell the turbo on ebay to part fund the triple purchase if you go that way. Turbo on a Sam :eek:

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
You don't wnat to be sticking a turbo on what could be a high compression engine.

Without knowing what spec the engine is(if any) you'd just be ******* in the wind, choice of carbs should come after you know what you've got.

johnymd

Club Member
You may be missing the point. A big part of a sam is looks. When you open the bonnet you need to see triples.

jaydeescuba

Well-Known Forum User
Interested in seeing some photo of your sam bud

At the min it's in 3 different places, having been stored for 28 years. The decent pics I have are here uploadfromtaptalk1424092174423.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1424092080257.jpg

Do you know whats been done to the engine?

All I know is that Spike has breathed on it, and it's one of his early Sam's, originally raced by Jack Phare.
The previous owner had the weber carbs swapped for economy and insurance purposes.
I felt that triples was the way to go and thanks for confirming that
;)

At the min it's in 3 different places, having been stored for 28 years. The decent pics I have are here View attachment 14057 View attachment 14056

All I know is that Spike has breathed on it, and it's one of his early Sam's, originally raced by Jack Phare.
The previous owner had the weber carbs swapped for economy and insurance purposes.
I felt that triples was the way to go and thanks for confirming that
;)

Its be worth investigating seems as there was no set 'spec'. However if you're happy just do what makes you happy

jaydeescuba

Well-Known Forum User
Looks sweet does that, you had a look on here

http://www.g8bgm.com/index_files/Page1566.htm
Yup,and I've spoken to Mike and Spike,via email... she's the real deal, hence why I've been seeking advice, suggestions and opinions. :cool:
I'm afraid it's not mine (yet lol)but my best mate's,and the plan is to have her finished for Japfest, if not for the Samuri Gathering a fortnight before.
He's kinda decided which way to go with it, I'm just making sure its an informed decision, especially as I'm buying it. If he ever decides to sell, anyway lmfao
Well we'll see ;)

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Yeah that sweet, I have all samuri documents signed by spike, you doing samuri colours on it bonnet look red in that photo

jaydeescuba

Well-Known Forum User
Yea, gotta be in the proper livery it came out of the shed with lol and it's actually orange in that pic, with a cream (white) pinstripe. The guy doing it will make it like new, if not better

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes, been on the dyno a couple of times but it's expensive, hence the AFR gauge now.
Last time on the dyno it got 190bhp @ fw.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah the thinking is if ya gotta buy them, buy them new.

There's an alternative point of view, and it's the view that *obviously new* parts can sometimes look a little bit out of place on a 40+ year old classic car.

If a car is customised in a 'resto mod' style then all well and good, but on something like a Samuri Conversions period-modified car the Spanish license-made Webers and a brand spanking new inlet manifold with anodised linkages runs the risk of looking a little out of place.