Froggy Z project - paint competition

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Same car but this winter it's gonna have a face-lift - well, she's already 37 years old !

Engine out for an overhaul - nothing wrong but four years without more than reguler oil changes - it's time to check it out.

Head off and DJR work for more power and torque - 100bhp per litre aimed for.

Subtle exterior changes (no clues) but maybe some weight lost generally (nip n' tuck) but regained elsewhere ('club' roll-cage fitted and permanent fire extinquisher).

Biggest change is the paint ; bare-metal re-paint and there's the crux :

with the new paint, it won't be easy to match the current colour so I'm seriously tempted to change it completely. This is where you come in :

I'll offer a very nice bottle of what you fancy to he (or she) who comes up with an idea similar to that which I'll apply, backed up with a coloured drawing or photoshop !

Clues : no red, no black, no big dark areas of colour, no white or cream which is too close to the actual colour, can be more than one colour.
Theme : it's a '70s car, it's also a classic car and I also wouldn't be above some 'racing' image projected.
Wheels will be Minilites as now but can be painted - I have a feeling for dark gun- metalbut I retain an open mind.

That's it - over to you.

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
Its a 70s car so paint it a 70s colour.

Surely then it should be poo brown, with fake wood dash and beige vinyl interior:

800px-Austin_Allegro_Brown_5.jpg

2329176377_032fb466bc.jpg

As an aside I kind of like this scheme:

1977-Austin-Allegro-All-Ego-by-Andy.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You worry me Neil - and don't laugh but my Mum had an Allegro exactly like that as a first company car - it regularly lost the hub-caps going over bumps - we'd stop, I'd dash out and recover them.......Lotus door handles though !

Anyway, Olaf in the F1 competition has a Mini in shit brown - I couldn't vindicate his choice by copying.

Gold ? Mhhhhhmm, colour choice (s) could be metallic.

Dale

Club Member
How about a variation on a theme? I've seen it in red, blue, yellow and gold. Not in green yet though?

GreenBRE.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The lad done great ! Surprising what can be done before the weekend bout of Newkies - bravo and of course, I have an old fetish for green. Kinda looks RSCapri-ish at first glance and I wouldn't be having the light-lens covers which would change the aspect a tadge I think.

But the Gold.....I hadn't thought of that - VERY '70s, original (we don't see many now).

Good going chaps.

Prize can either be a nice bottle of bubbly or allow me to select two or three special somethings for the same value - winners' choice (or more likely his girlfriend/wifes').

Dale

Club Member
Here's another mock-up, but without the cowl covers. Looks great too.

Can you not get, or make, 'clip on' cowl covers? I'm sure the drag would be lessened a hell of a lot with covers on. If I'm driving on the motorway in the MX5 and pop the lights up, the speed drops by about 5 mph!

bregreen.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Oooh la la - not bad. Any chance of another colour than white that'll work with green ? Only other 'criticism' - in small letters, is that it's a bit American and Samuri - any Japanese styles ?

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
First thing that came in to my mind was 920 gold and Dave beat me to it, wery nice color indeed, if you want it more hot, why not orange then, i believe Ford have a hot orange on a Mustang.

Neal, WTF is wrong with 114 brown?.

Attachments

• BILD0293.JPG
    BILD0293.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 34

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's the 'kind of' that worries me !

But Chris - I love that colour : one of the first Zs I imported ! AND my Zs original colour !

Attachments

• DSCF1419.JPG
    DSCF1419.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 40

status

Well-Known Forum User
you sound like the new so called government that wasnt elected,we will ask the public as we have not got a clue,then we cant get blamed when it all goes wrong,just do it in orange thats wot im doing my next zed in then you can blame me,if you keep it to a light colour then you show off the lines better,ps keep it as it is,it looks good

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I love orange but we're just finishing the restoration of a 2+2 in it..........and I have to change at least the shade of that which I have currently (read above) so it'll never be the same - it's the moment to change !

Attachments

• DSCF2031.JPG
    DSCF2031.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0870.JPG
    DSCF0870.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Begin June 007.jpg
    Begin June 007.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Begin June 008.jpg
    Begin June 008.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 16

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Just have it painted black and white, like a goal flag (or what ever you call it) or lollipop striped