Fresh air ducts

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
Can anyone confirm which models (240, 260, 280) had the fresh air ducts that fed clean air from radiator panel into the tubes in the inner wings?

Were there variations with US spec vs UK spec cars?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
From what I can find both the 240z and early 260z have them. The LH one changed for the 260z but the RH one is the same as on the 240z.

Seems to be the same for both UK and US cars.

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
From what I can find both the 240z and early 260z have them. The LH one changed for the 260z but the RH one is the same as on the 240z.

Seems to be the same for both UK and US cars.

Thanks!

That’s explains things a little. My car is a 1977 U.K. 260Z and whilst the ducts were in place, they were pointless as the inner wings have no holes to vent the air! I assume they were added by the previous owner in error.

I’ve removed them now. I assume there are no issues running the car without, ie with the holes in the rad panel, I guess just more air flowing through the engine bay, which can’t be a bad thing?

One other, off topic question...most info on the web refers to the 260z only being available in ‘74, (US market) but having a U.K. 260z from 1977, Am I better working on model year (ie US 280z) or Sticking with model type 260z, when it come to spec details for the car?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think its best to get as much air through the radiator as possible, so block the spare holes in the support panel.
also pretty sure a late 260z isn't like an US model/year, so you have to know your car.

SacCyclone

Club Member
In the US the 260 was available only for one year, 1974.

The 1974 US 260 is basically a 1973 240 with larger bumpers....still has the flat top carbs and 4 speed or auto box.

While not that familiar with your 77 260 if it has FI it is probably closer to our US 280 i would think.

I can send you some pics of 74 260's that I have had if there is something in particular you need a pic of.

Mike

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
From what I can tell a late 260z is very similar to a 280z apart from the engine and usual US suspension / steering differences.

toopy

Club Member
Thanks!One other, off topic question...most info on the web refers to the 260z only being available in ‘74, (US market) but having a U.K. 260z from 1977, Am I better working on model year (ie US 280z) or Sticking with model type 260z, when it come to spec details for the car?

Ive found when ordering from Rockauto that a lot of bits, for example rear break shoes are the same as a 280z, The US only had the 260z briefly and is more akin to the 240/early 260 in the UK as far as parts are concerned.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Thanks!

That’s explains things a little. My car is a 1977 U.K. 260Z and whilst the ducts were in place, they were pointless as the inner wings have no holes to vent the air! I assume they were added by the previous owner in error.

I’ve removed them now. I assume there are no issues running the car without, ie with the holes in the rad panel, I guess just more air flowing through the engine bay, which can’t be a bad thing?

One other, off topic question...most info on the web refers to the 260z only being available in ‘74, (US market) but having a U.K. 260z from 1977, Am I better working on model year (ie US 280z) or Sticking with model type 260z, when it come to spec details for the car?
Even on the late 260z the vents are still functional, they collect air from the scuttle tray area rather than the front of the ‘air tubes’. Took me a full strip down to find out how they worked!