For those of us with £25k to spend

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wow, that would do me just fine, but I would be frightened to use it in anger (or let my lads drive it).

£25k mmmmm it would have to be RIGHT for that but it might be.

Nice find, thanks.:thumbs:

edit - noticed it's in Oakham Rutland, might be tempted to have a drive over. Trouble then is I'd want it!

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
its had £20000 spent on it in 2006 for more track use ,thats a lot of mods !!!!!!!!!! shame there was not more details

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Tel, maybe not but I like the reassurance of the very effective mechanical fan. So do Fourways by the look of it.

I suspect this is not really a 'track car' it's more likely to be a fast road car - there is quite a difference but not to Joe Public.

Nice car from the pictures but not to everyone's liking.

Russ

Club Member
Is that £25k for a lhd car that's been 'converted' to RHD and then has a UK soul?

Russ

Club Member
Well yeah, which I'm not 100% against as in my mind you're just reshelling a Brit car, not a lot different than changing every panel and doing a lot of replacement panel welds. But for £25k I guess I'd want a genuine UK even if it's not in as good a nick.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
But for £25k I guess I'd want a genuine UK even if it's not in as good a nick.
That's what YOU'VE got....when you get around to doing it.;)

Interesting that a pro. firm has no qualms about stating (upon another pro firm) it is a conversion......

It looks just a touch too tarty (and "look at me, a track-day car" mods. - silly rad. panel) for my taste but I suppose as Rob is getting older, so he needs that extra stimulation to remain FIRMly in control.:rolleyes:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes I realise it's a RHD conversion and that fact together with the styling and roll-cage will limit it's appeal and value.

I like it though because it looks sleek (not the usual deep front spoiler) and it's not red. The paintwork looks nice on the pics. to me.

The rad mod is ok but the fan guard is overkill and spoils the engine bay. Perhaps an electric 'push' fan in front of the rad would have been neater (but I do like mechanical fans).

Anyway I haven't got £25k to spare. In my mind without seeing the car or knowing any of the mods I'd value it at £15k tops. As it's in a showroom and not private sale I may just go and have a look out of interest. I suppose it's another example of spending more on building a car than it's worth financially - lots of us have done that. No probs as long as we use them. :driving:

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yes I realise it's a RHD conversion and that fact together with the styling and roll-cage will limit it's appeal and value.
I don't think that it being a cleaner than average (assumed) car will limit it's appeal and certainly not its' value !
I think the cheap light covers that have had to be drilled into the panels and to be honest, I don't like the wheels are the iffy points.
But I agree with your appraisal - a good £15ks' worth.

Guess who's recently bought and will try a similar spoiler ?

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Why on earth do you call it a 'Ringer', when all that's been changed is the Bulkhead ?

If, and I do emphasise IF, it's the same Bodyshell ( i.e originally having a US Registration ) with a new UK Registration applied for & issued by the Local Vehicle Licencing Office, why do you call it a 'Ringer' ?

Russ

Club Member
I've nothing against it, but as a guess I don't think "all that has been changed is the bulkhead" is quite right, probably "all that remains is the bulkhead" would be fairer? :)

I do like it though, certainly nicer than mine!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've nothing against it, but as a guess I don't think "all that has been changed is the bulkhead" is quite right, probably "all that remains is the bulkhead" would be fairer?

Here we go again....so what ? It happens all the time with MGs, Porsches, E-Types....so it's only when done to cheap 'ol Sunny-clones in supposed back-street lock-ups that it becomes 'The Untouchable' and 'The Ringer' ?

Get real and don't apply double standards please. Another clean Z on the roads is worth 300 rotten baskets lying in fields and damp garages !

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Russ, at the risk of being pedantic, what I meant to say ( and, indeed, I think I did say ), was that if you Import a US 240Z and then merely change the Bulkhead for a RHD one and then apply for a UK Registration at your local LVLO :-

all you have changed is one panel.

Therefore, how can it be described as a Ringer ?

It is the same Bodyshell - Q.E.D.

Russ

Club Member
Sorry my bad, I thought as it had a UK plate it was being passed off as a UK car, if it's still got the US ID then yeah whatever, it's totally legit. I wasn't knocking it, I was merely saying that if I had £25k I'd want a car that when claimed to be UK was actually UK. I'm sure it'll make a very nice car for someone.

Guys we all want different things, to me I wouldn't want a Porsche that pretended to be something it wasn't or an MG (not relating it to the Z in any way). Same as I'd love a Charger R/T, I wouldn't want a Charger which had all the R/T dress up and pretended to be one, but was never born that way. To me I want the genuine article, bit like designer knock offs, why pretend to yourself? That's how it feels to me anyway.

Good luck with the sale, looks like a nice car for someone.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
The Z in the ad is on a J plate, moggy's is on a J plate, mine is on a J plate, Dave Porter's is on an H plate, Brian Baker's 240 Sam was also on an H plate, this is just to name but a few, how can these be ringers ? when only 2 cars where originally registered in the uk with a J plate & non with H plates ? With mine I have much paperwork, also on the reg doc it states when the vehicle came into the country as I would imagine it does with all the others mentioned above. Give me an import over an english quilt every time matey, that way you do not have to spend hundreds of hours & thousands of pounds trying to get a body shell somewhere near, so all the cash saved can be spent on the goodies. :driving:

P.S. Here endith the lesson from the guy who has owned 20 odd english patchwork quilts & 3 imports. :cheers: