SOLD: For Sale on Ebay: Datsun 260Z Rolling Shell – Chassis No: RLS30-000017

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Is this yours, DJacey?

I've known the bodyshell for a long time. It was first imported to the UK by Fourways Engineering - at least 30 years ago - to be used in the build-up of a race car. It was Fourways who carried out the reversible LHD to RHD conversion, but then the project was shelved and put into storage. I first saw it in person at least 20 years ago.

The story linking it to Bob Sharp Racing in the USA is very likely true. I believe this bodyshell was picked off the production line to be sent to Bob Sharp - as a spare in case of crash damage to his race car(s) - in late 1973 during the transition from '240Z' to '260Z' and the low chassis number is very close to those in other Bob Sharp '260Z' cars. Geoff Jackson of Fourways told me that they bought the bodyshell on the east coast of the USA from a former member of Bob Sharp's team.

There's no V5 with the bodyshell as it was never built up into a car and (being intended as a race car) never registered in the USA, so there was no 'title' and it was imported to the UK as spare parts with no intention to use it on the road.

Is this yours, DJacey?

I've known the bodyshell for a long time. It was first imported to the UK by Fourways Engineering - at least 30 years ago - to be used in the build-up of a race car. It was Fourways who carried out the reversible LHD to RHD conversion, but then the project was shelved and put into storage. I first saw it in person at least 20 years ago.

The story linking it to Bob Sharp Racing in the USA is very likely true. I believe this bodyshell was picked off the production line to be sent to Bob Sharp - as a spare in case of crash damage to his race car(s) - in late 1973 during the transition from '240Z' to '260Z' and the low chassis number is very close to those in other Bob Sharp '260Z' cars. Geoff Jackson of Fourways told me that they bought the bodyshell on the east coast of the USA from a former member of Bob Sharp's team.

There's no V5 with the bodyshell as it was never built up into a car and (being intended as a race car) never registered in the USA, so there was no 'title' and it was imported to the UK as spare parts with no intention to use it on the road.

Thats an amazing story. if built up as a road car, if it were possible to get proper dating letters you might be able to get an age related reg?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Thats an amazing story. if built up as a road car, if it were possible to get proper dating letters you might be able to get an age related reg?

Very possibly. This is a factory-identified entity (via the chassis number), not an anomaly and not a moveable feast in the way that an un-numbered 'Body In White' from other manufacturers would be.

Robbie J

Club Member
Not that a lot on here would care but the Engine and gearbox are worth £2 to £3K depending on condition inside them. The gearbox is getting rarer now in the UK as people convert R33s from Auto's to Manuals

DJacey

Club Member
Hi Albrecht, yes I am the owner. Unfortunately the project has not been concluded as I originally intended many years ago for one reason or another. Thanks for sharing the background to the shell. After 47 years of being moved around the US and UK with various owners I feel it really now deserves to become a completed car - perhaps as a BSR replica? The Skyline engine conversion has not needed any body modifications apart from the opening in the tunnel for the gear stick which can easily be repaired so reverting back to an S30 engine will not be a problem.

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Albrecht, yes I am the owner. Unfortunately the project has not been concluded as I originally intended many years ago for one reason or another. Thanks for sharing the background to the shell. After 43 years of being moved around the US and UK with various owners I feel it really now deserves to become a completed car - perhaps as a BSR replica? The Skyline engine conversion has not needed any body modifications apart from the opening in the tunnel for the gear stick which can easily be repaired so reverting back to an S30 engine will not be a problem.

Thanks! I must say it's kind of pleasing to see the 'shell again and that - so far - nothing too drastic has happened to it. At one point I believe it was being lined up to become a rally car for the Safari Classic.

A re-conversion to LHD (pretty easy I think) would be fitting, and it certainly would fit into the BSR jigsaw puzzle even just as a small piece from the periphery of that story. These days it would be a lot easier to join the dots. There are people out there who will remember it.

When I first saw it there was absolutely no doubt that this was an unused 'shell. You can tell:

RLS30-000017-1.JPG

RLS30-000017-2.JPG

RLS30-000017-3.JPG

AD240Z

Club Member
I thought this thread would be a bashing of another poor eBay listing and it’s great to see an interesting story come out and be backed up.

Be interesting to see what becomes of it.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Robbie was referring to the engine and gearbox

I know. Hence my reply.

There's plenty of interest in RB-series engines and related parts here. The vendor is a member of the forum and of the club. I can think of one forum member who put an RB-series engine in an S30-series chassis nearly 30 years ago. We get it.

richiep

Club Member
That would make a superb BSR tribute/replica given it's background. I hope someone seizes that opportunity.

501609-modeled-after03.jpg

Stick it on BAT after trying best you can to work through some of its history.

The BSR connection, the fact its an unused shell, you'll be onto a winner. They'd pay for the nostalgia in the US. Same as if you had a samuri in the US, like big sam or similar, it'd be better sold in the continent where the romantic connection is.