Floor replacement query...

LiamR

Club Member
So after taking a look at the floor pans in my 280z it's very evident that they could do with replacing along with the bent floor rails at some point.. (apparently on import the fork lift driver decided to not take any care with unloading as the car was a non runner)

The previous owner told me that his plans were to replace the floors but to create a hybrid setup by using 280z floor pans and 240z rails as this gives more rail to ground clearance for lower cars.

Could anyone confirm or deny if this combination is even possible?

I have looked into replacing the floor pans but every video I see they use 280z floors and rails.

I am also led to believe that the floor pans will need seat mounting brackets as most aftermarket floor sets do not come with these brackets.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Liam.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Liam,

I haven't welcomed you to the forum yet - but welcome!

The 240Z frame rails are shallower (and likely therefor weaker) than the 280Z rails. But you could have the 240Z ones installed if your plan was to build a car that sits really low to the ground.

Are you planning to use the original seats? If not you could make some strengthening brackets across the floors in place of the original seat mounting brackets and attach some seat mounting brackets to them.

Dan

LiamR

Club Member
Hi Dan,

Thanks buddy! Well the car used to be stupidly low and scraped on every single speed hump. Got very annoying very quickly.

I decided that I would raise the car a little to stop it happening but now because it has slightly stretched tyres, it looks silly. New wheels will need to be ordered to get rid of the 'stanced' look.

Yeah that makes sense now... I plan on putting in some retro looking sets. I think I've seen a set from Recaro and a set from Bride which I'm interested in so my own seat rails may be required anyways.. would just have been nice to have bolt in options for ease.

Appreciate the help and the welcome!

Liam.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Don't forget that your fuel and brake lines run along side the 280z chassis rails floor. I'd it was me I would fit 240z floor pans as are flatter and get some thicker full length chassis rails done and go the full length and tie into the rear chassis section for extra strenght

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
As above, best to run new fuel lines in the transmission tunnel and add some clipping points. 240Z floor pans are easy to acquire too.

The Bride retro seats (Histrix) are stunning but at over a grand each not the cheapest option...

Dan

LiamR

Club Member
I'll be putting an RB into it so the fuel lines will be replaced with either AN6 hardline or AN6 teflon.

Thanks for the heads up about the floors... I wasnt sure about the 240z floors as I thought the transmission tunnel was different so the floor wouldn't fit nearly aswell. Makes sense though!

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Where are you Liam?

Always welcome to inspect one of the shells/projects I have on the go - I’m in the midlands

Dan

LiamR

Club Member
Hi Dan,

I'm currently in Saudi Arabia but I have a house in Lincoln.

Where abouts in Midlands? That would be awesome! I'll pop in for a brew, I'll bring the biscuits! Haha

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The previous owner told me that his plans were to replace the floors but to create a hybrid setup by using 280z floor pans and 240z rails as this gives more rail to ground clearance for lower cars.

One thing to take on board (and which might help...) is that the "rails" under the floors are not actually chassis rails. Nissan called them 'floor supports' and their primary function is to stiffen the floor panels and stop them from 'oil canning'. In fact, if you wanted to, you could weld them onto the inside of the floor panels without any major loss in function. I've seen it done in Japan. Was a bit of a double-take moment.

The major front-to-rear strength on the S30-series body is in the inner and outer sills - forming left and right side box sections - and the roof structure, all coming together to form a 'unibody' box monocoque. It's even designed to have a certain amount of 'spring' in it... :EXTRAeek:

LiamR

Club Member
Oh wicked. Not too far then buddy! I'm back in the uk towards the middle of August so I will pop over in my datsun and take a peek if you dont mind. Would be good to see what's needed for the conversion with everything out of the car!

Love that colour!!

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I'll be putting an RB into it so the fuel lines will be replaced with either AN6 hardline or AN6 teflon.

Thanks for the heads up about the floors... I wasnt sure about the 240z floors as I thought the transmission tunnel was different so the floor wouldn't fit nearly aswell. Makes sense though!
The floor pans are definitely different, I’ve been through this with mine, the late 260 and 280z had a wider tunnel to accommodate a possible cat converter. Fitting 240z floors is a lot of work although I would imagine the rails are the really easy bit.

Nik

Club Member
Hi Liam,
Are you planning to use the original seats? If not you could make some strengthening brackets across the floors in place of the original seat mounting brackets and attach some seat mounting brackets to them.

Dan

I've been wondering about the seat brackets on my 280 also. Mine are rusted so they need to be cut out anyway, I was going to put them back in, but I'm thinking I will put in cobra vintage racing seats in at some point. I like your idea of putting in strengthening brackets and putting a mount on those.

I got a replacement 260z floor set from Mr F at MJP. They look like they will be a good fit, I measured the rails and they are pretty similar in depth to the stock ones. I'll post up some pictures of how they look when fitted.