Finding a new wiring harness for a '70 Z?

Jan - the Dane

Active Forum User
Gents,

got her back on the road, just! But I need to deal with the fact that both interior and engine harnesses have been butchered over the years and for reliability sake need replacing the lot.

Searched high and low on the net but they are all used in un-unknown state and I am thinking I will have to dig deep for a custom job.

Anyone with a better idea or links to someone/somehwere who can help?

Cheers
Jan

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Had my 240 engine loom rebuilt in the states (to UK spec) to as new condition. Sent my original loom and after 30 odd emails and parting with approx £500.00 got it back completely rebuilt to my spec (has spot lights built in) with new wiring and connectors. Bear in mind this was when the exchange rate was approx $2.00 to £1.00.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
A mate of mine (ex BT Engineer like me) works for a company who make wiring looms for rally cars etc.

Would it be worth asking about producing S30 harnesses?

Jan - the Dane

Active Forum User
Thanks for all the comments. Seems like I will be better off fidning someone in the UK to build a harness. Can;'t be that much more expensive than finding someone in the US.

Jan - the Dane

Active Forum User
I might have to bite the bullets and actually learn something new! Electrics is a subject very low on my list ofr interests but in the name cost cutting/keeping car running, I might have to bite th bullet.

shak130

Well-Known Forum User
bit of a long shot- but try FW Cables Ltd in Birmingham- I am pretty sure they might be able to help you or point you in the direction of another UK company.

TomZupra

Well-Known Forum User
I do some harness work in my job and I think if you did a bit of leg work you could make the job easier on a wiring company and get cheaper quotes.

If you work out connector part numbers (and where they can purchase them), crimp part numbers and any tooling (some will have special crimp tools, crimp holders, insertion tools etc. Should be pretty basic on a Datsun though I presume) then estimating is a lot easier. From there you just need to specify wire types and gauge, the pin-out of each connector and the length of each stub. Learning to crimp and lace is not too difficult, getting good results could be possible if your patient. Let me know if you have any questions on specifics and I can have a look.

Jan - the Dane

Active Forum User
Thanks again All!
Good solid advice all around. Will dig a little deeper and see if I can;t get my head around it all although the patience bit it the tricky bit!

Cheers