Finally getting started

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Declared my car SORN today, so going to start pulling it to bits in the next few weeks.
The VH50DE is coming along nicely at CTM, heads are done, head gaskets sorted, just waiting on pistons / rods to be made.
Found a source in the US for really cheap injectors too. 440cc bosch type 3 top feeds for ~£250 / 8 :eek:

Mr.G

Club Member
What are you building then? Is the VH50DE the engine in the Z31? There will be some good fun at the pod next year with all these modified Zs being born.

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Building it into a Z32 to get rid of the nasty turbo engine.
The VH50DE is my version of the Infiniti Q45 engine VH45DE, but overbored to 5.0l so thought I'd re-number it!

Russ

Club Member
Did you know that a company in Japan offer a 5.1 stroker kit for teh VH45DE? :) Its $17500 though lol.

I must say this engine is really starting to interest me now. You'd be mad not to just drop a SBC in, but staying Nissan is very appealing. Saw a video of a 300zx with the Q45 engine in and it sounded LOVELY and could melt the tyres easy :)

John, where did you source your 2002> engine please?

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, it's IMPUL that do it but it's for the later VK45DE. You could make one for less, probably about £8k I'd think. Unless there's enough on the stock crank to offset grind the pins.

SBC didn't appeal to me too old, crude and heavy. New LS1/2 or cobra mustang might be good, but the VH is a bomb proof engine. Guess the one you saw was slim's 450zxTT with the engine sticking out the bonnet? I'm going to sling mine further down and back from that (dry sump) so hopefully retain the bonnet line - maybe a 55o style air intake.

My engine's not 2002, it's a 1992. I got it from Austrailia