Fan blower/heated rear window power fault

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Got an infuriating intermittent fault on my heater fan and heated rear window switches.

Sometimes after I have started the engine, neither the three-speed heater fan OR the rear defogger switch will work. Everything else is OK electrically.

If I stop the car and turn the engine off, then turn the ignition back on just to the stage where the dashboard lights up, then quite often the fan blower and the rear defogger kick into life and come on!

Sometimes (but not always) when I then start the engine they stop working again.

Occasionally I am driving along and they are working fine and then suddenly stop. Then they re-start again.

Sometimes they work fine right from the off, But mostly, to get them to work I have to turn the ignition off then back on again.

As I am useless with electrics I have got an auto-electrician coming to look at it on Tuesday.

He is wondering (as it ALWAYS affects both the fan blower and the rear defogger together and NOTHING else) whether those two things might be on a separate relay - in which case can anyone tell me where it is located to save him time (and me money)?

Or has anyone got any other ideas that might help?

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
could also be your ignition switch seeing as turning it off and back on again fixes the issue.