Facet fuel pump Q ?

Wyn

Club Member
To run an engine only without load ...

Does anyone know if a n/a red top Facet fuel pump will run an injection engine?

Or will a proper fuel injection pump need to be used?

ta

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
My car uses a bosch motorsport 044 pump and I'm running 40psi I don't think a facet runs to that, I think it tops out at 10psi from what I can remember.

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers
Just wasnt sure if a red top was enough to run it

Yours being an 044 external pump?
How is it fed, via a lift pump?

Tank used?

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I am still using the standard tank with a facet feeding a 1 litre surge pot and then have a 10mm feed to the bosch pump from there, works ok, but want a fuel cell eventually.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
A facet on its own will not develop anywhere near enough pressure to run an FI setup (3+bar needed) the facet should act as the lift pump (if you are going the swirl pot route) otherwise a decent bosch pump mounted below the fuel level would suffice....be carefull though without decent baffles the Z tank will starve the pump when heavy cornering when part full, to do a proper install the tank will need to be baffled, or take the aforementioned swirl pot route which is a 2 stage system incorporating both high and low pressure

Its all out there....seek and ye shall find

Wyn

Club Member
I am still using the standard tank with a facet feeding a 1 litre surge pot and then have a 10mm feed to the bosch pump from there ....

Have you any pics to show how/where you've mounted your surge tank and main inj pump?
My facet pump is already mounted but would be good to see ideas of where to mount the main pump etc

A facet on its own will not develop anywhere near enough pressure to run an FI setup (3+bar needed)

Just for the record thats not correct
Just to see if I had my wiring and fuel feeds correct I've since fired up the engine using just a facet red top pump
It ticks over quite happily, which was all I wanted to know :thumbs:

datsun dave

Club Member
Ali fuel tank with x2 facet red tops pumping into a surge tank with x2 bosch 044 pumping into fuel rail, with a single return line back into the surge tank with overflow return to main tank.

All lives were the old fuel tank and spare wheel well used to be.

Wyn

Club Member
All lives were the old fuel tank and spare wheel well used to be.

Idea of spare wheel well was mentioned to me to mount just the surge and inj pump in?
But didnt know if A, the car would smell of fuel and B, would mean cutting more holes in the shell :unsure:
Not that a few more holes in a Datsun would be anything new !

datsun dave

Club Member
Idea of spare wheel well was mentioned to me to mount just the surge and inj pump in?
But didnt know if A, the car would smell of fuel and B, would mean cutting more holes in the shell :unsure:
Not that a few more holes in a Datsun would be anything new !

Wanted all the fuel system outside of the car.