F1

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So, like I was saying, is Jensen gonna be third this year ?

I have a dream, sorry, idea ! This season, with a Dutch friend, I've been calculating/guessing which drivers would finish where in the top 8 places.
1 point for a driver placed in the top eight, 5 points for being placed in the correct spot !
Before every race, no later than Wednesday (ie before the practice sessions) our previsions must be sent to each other. The races' score is totalled on the Sunday evening, with any alterations due to drivers being disqualified etc later in the week.
At the end of the season, the loser must think of a fitting pressie to buy and sent to the other !

It's too late to do this now but would anyone be interested in doing this next season, maybe we could work out some prizes for the podium ? If the Club can't fork up, maybe all 'players' could put in a fiver by cheque (to the Z Club ?) and the 'registration fee' be used to buy nice goodies for the top three ?

Might stimulate some more forum participation and certainly more threads !

ps I'm leading the cloggie by 18 points !

john-boy

Well-Known Forum User
Yep,

I'd definitely be up for some fantasy formula 1 stlye action.

Fiver sounds like a reasonable amount too. Done this a few times with my department at work, and it's always been good fun (although, this has always been football rather than F1 based).

Good idea!

It would certainly make an interesting thread to follow on the forum throughout the season ... :D

CheerZ,
JB.

Russ

Club Member
Let me know nearer the time and I'll try to organise some online graphing/tracking thing for it so people can see how they are doing online and possibly submit their guesses.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This week's Motorsport News has an article on page 25 called 'Between the Lines' by editor Tim Bowdler.

It is thought provoking and I think very accurate.

Basically it says that Schumacher doesn't make F1 boring, current F1 makes Schumacher boring.

It blames no overtaking on the pit stops and strategy experts. Without the use of these we would see more overtaking on the track. Think about it!

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean,
I don´t suppose that the clogie has a red & black 240Z with a number between 4 & 6 on the side !
If that´s the case keep up the good work. I´ll pm you my advise for the next GP.

john-boy

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Rob Gaskin
It blames no overtaking on the pit stops and strategy experts. Without the use of these we would see more overtaking on the track. Think about it!

Hmmm, I kind of agree and disagree with this. It's difficult to call Schumacker boring per se, after all, he's clearly in a class of his own, and streets ahead of the competition. He does, however, take a lot of fun out of worrying too much about the podium.

Take the pit-stops out and I don't think the results will change, the Teutonic warrior will continue to dominate for now.

I'm pretty sure that pit-stops (fuelling) were brought back to try and make things more interesting again, since prior to the fuelling being back on the strategy map, we simply got a precession. Now we just have a jumbled up precession with a predetermined result.

How long do people thing Schuey can continue to be so dominant? Best driver in the best and most reliable car ...

What would really improve things .. tracks with better potential for overtaking?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
"Take the pit-stops out and I don't think the results will change, the Teutonic warrior will continue to dominate for now." I agree and it's not all his 'fault' ! He has some serious brains behind him in the pit lane !
I agree also with F1 making Schumie boring ! It's over regulated like most of life nowadays, kick out the pit-stops, bring back slicks, redesign some circuits and reduce the engine sizes to reduce power if speeds must be controlled !

Russ, your timing is to have something ready for next season, mid-March and if we could see it before hand, to promote further forum discord and participation, so much the better !
It doesn't have to stop there if it works, this idea, with some modifs, could be applied to any wide audience motorsport (Le Mans series, FIA GT, touring car....?)

Symon,not who you're thinking of but I don't worry about him, Cathy shoved him into the kitty litter the last time we all went karting, hee, hee !

steven lack

Well-Known Forum User
fantastic idea sean ill have a go

F 1 generally is boring
re pit lane strategies . shuey only does so well-
(1st i love watching him qualify hes the best at it/although im begining to find button more entertaining )
-because he is a passenger in a car that is 4 times better than its nearest rival because ferrari spend 4 times the money of say mclaren williams.which denys us all from seeing mmmmm if he has enough talent in a fair race.
may be he would resort to taking people out like he did to jordan with damen hill we all know he was out of order but for some reason he got away with it i call it cheating.now he wouldnt get away with it so hes lucky

if he ever has the foresight to deserve respect from everyone why doesnt he when his contract at ferrari ends drive for say mmm minardi for free for one season to develope them and show us if he is as good as the hype.

legends list:
FANGIO
STIRLING MOSS
AYRTON SENNA
PROST
JACKIE STEWART
etc oh yeah and me

except michael schumacher cant be on the list :
he will never have their pedigree and as for that stupid jump he does on the podium what can i say hes a ------------------------------

the new rules:slicks are back you only get 2 tyre changes per race but the fuelling is done before at the start and not in the pits
during the race.and there is no launch control

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I've followed F1 on and off for the last 25 years and it is definitely more boring now....that we are even discussing it's merits, says it all!!
I seem to remember them reducing the engines to 1.5L with turbos in the early '80's....they were producing 1300hp in qualifying trim though!
I think that the F1 format has had it's day and it's just the Bernie Ecclestone circus nowadays!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Russ

Club Member
Now if Schuey would get out of his comfortable seat at Ferrari and do a Rossi and go to some slightly failing team and say "Right boys lets sort this car out" then I would have respect for him in abundance, however coasting round and round in the Ferrari no matter how great he may be doesn't seem challenging enough to deserve it.

At least he isn't as arrogant as he used to be.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
but when he first went to ferrari the car was nowere near the best car and he won the championship then in a inferior car
also not sure the benneton was the best car either
the mans proved himself twice in inferior cars
now the ferrari is the best complete package you all want him to leave and start again

remember when mansell was in his car winning near every race didnt say then he should leave and drive another car to become great

Russ

Club Member
Well I don't remember all that because I'm too young... That's my excuse, anyway next time Schuey rings me for tips I'll be sure to pass on your good will Steve.

steven lack

Well-Known Forum User
i do and its all down to the english technicians that make the ferrari great
the driver gets the best ride with all this technology its the car that makes the driver
when mansell was racing and anyone prior in history its the driver that made the difference not the pit lane strategists

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
The problem with F1 is that it is boring, no overtaking, no side by side action. The best bit is the start, at least Fernando Alonso normal gets a flyer ! Then Schumacher overtakes in the pits.
F1 should really take note of Nascar & Australian V8 Supercar racing, both are great spectacles to watch & the drivers are just as skilful as the F1 prima donnas

steven lack

Well-Known Forum User
and then theres moto gp and world super bikes and british super bikes plenty of overtakin in them wsb at brands last week saw on the last lap the 1st and 2nd place guy pass each other at least 4 times this is proper racing not lap parading
Anyway valentino the doctor rossi had a go in shueys car for only one hour and posted a time only 1 second slower than shueys best ever time
so put the doctor in the ferrari and the german in a bmw or merc if its a taxi he wants to be in then best choose a merc

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not fair that you get at Schumie - he's worked hard to get where he is and I agree with Burnsie - he's proved himself in inferior cars already ! If you lump all the best at any sport in one team, they're gonna wipe the floor - what do you expect ?
FI is boring and it's not his fault - too easy to say that, you must look elsewhere and deeper !

FANGIO can't comment, never seen him
STIRLING MOSS can't comment, never seen him
AYRTON SENNA good but just as arrogant
PROST arrogant too, and he fixed his last team so that he couldn't be anything else than world champion !
JACKIE STEWART can't comment, never seen him

Let's face it, you have to have a certain arrogance to win, and to want to keep on winning. Damon wasn't arrogant, he was nice and won once and that was in the best car ! What about Villeneuve who now wants to return after saying such things about F1 ?

Steve's listed his rule changes (keep them short and simple and preferably of help to the teams with smaller budgets), what about the rest of you ?

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
Yes Steve,
I agree about the Motorbike racing, they are really brave & skillful. Every time I´ve been on a bike around a circuit I scare the s**t out of myself.

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean,
Well I can now boast a few things that it appears you can´t !!!!

Saw Fangio drive a pre 2ww Mercedes around Donington Park & the man was a star. He was quite old but he drove with such control. Any man who can power slide a car like that deserves to go to heaven !
I´ve passenged with Stirling. He is very quick but thrashes the car to get the times out of it wheras Jackie Stewart can do the times without braking the mechanics.
I´ve always admired long distance drivers so my vote goes to my mate Derek Bell, with whom I ´ve co driven on 2 occasions. A real proffesional & as fast as anyone else but for 24 hours !

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by STEVE BURNS
but when he first went to ferrari the car was nowere near the best car and he won the championship then in a inferior car
also not sure the benneton was the best car either
the mans proved himself twice in inferior cars
now the ferrari is the best complete package you all want him to leave and start again

remember when mansell was in his car winning near every race didnt say then he should leave and drive another car to become great

You are absolutely right, Steve!

He is one of the best drivers, not that I‘m a fan of his. But I like the way he got Ferrari back to the top. He is a dedicated driver, knows how to translate ‘the car’ to his mechanics (a few can!) and Ferrari puts in a very very large amount of money….

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Symon, you obviously have a more mispent youth than I and I bow to your superior experience !

Of all, I can respect Jackie the best, 'cos he left whilst at the top and chose life before glory ! At that time, there were still numerous drivers still being killed ! Then he started a team up, handled later with his son and he sold most of it to Ford whilst it was going well who've done bugger all with it in several years !
Also, any driver who saves the car whilst going fast IS the better driver and nothing shows up more than the endurance racers !
Still can't forget JJ Lehto at Le Mans in a McLaren in wet '95 going quicker in the wet DURING THE NIGHT than anyone had during the day !