Exhaust Question

Huw

Club Member
I'm tinkering with the exhaust run on the car at the moment.

What would be the correct minimum distance between an exhaust and the floor of the car, anyone have a clue?

Specifically the downpipe and the front foot well/ transmission tunnel, I'm thinking about an inch should do it?

Cheers

Huw

Last edited by a moderator:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've got no more than an inch between my collectors and the passenger footwell, and the underseal hasn't caught fire yet.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Got about 3mm of clearance between the collector and tunnel/floor transition....its not a problem

Huw

Club Member
Got about 3mm of clearance between the collector and tunnel/floor transition....its not a problem

:thumbs: That's pretty much what I have right now and was concerned about the under seal and sound deadening material under the carpets.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Huw, how about fitting/sticking some heat reflective material on the footwell?

Huw

Club Member
No problem Sean, hope you are getting better.

Rob, as in on the underside of the footwell or under the carpet? What product would you suggest?

johnymd

Club Member
Mine touches in a couple of places and hasn't been a problem, other than the knocking noise, so I need to get the big hammer out.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Just had a 3in system made by the guys at infinity exhausts.
They got the down pipe to the back of the gearbox real close to floor and gearbox .
But they recommend wrapping it which they did.
Haven't tested it yet but it looks like it will do the job

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Just had a 3in system made by the guys at infinity exhausts.
They got the down pipe to the back of the gearbox real close to floor and gearbox .
But they recommend wrapping it which they did.
Haven't tested it yet but it looks like it will do the job

Wrapping the exhaust good idea the wrap will absorb some of the heat

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
It can also help stainless systems crack.

Why's that

I fort race cars do it to stop heat rising into cab and it's also beter for the car as the exhaust gases are more warmer to get out quicker also keep the engine bit cooler as the wrap is absorbing the heat

I bought a mk3 golf gti that's got full stainless on and last guy has wrapped it all

Last edited by a moderator: