Exhaust headers stainless from 'Zero Exhausts'

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Have been recommended Zero Exhausts for a set of exhaust headers on the S30, 240Z (standard at present)

https://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/products.htm

Anybody have experience of them, or know a good alternative to consider?

Thanks, Tony

240Z

Stainless steel 6:2:1 header. 2.5" outlet with three bolt flange assembly and short length of tube to hook up to your own exhaust system.

£950

large-Datsun-240Z-header.jpg

As above, you’ve lots of choice

Sean’s in Europe

Then Japanese ones, kameari/fujitsubo/spirit garage as the more obvious ones.

There’s a thread on the classic z car forum going through some pros and cons of each.

I just wouldn’t go for the one linked really.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
One thing that doesn't get mentioned very often is the positioning of the 'Y' piece connection to the rear exhaust. The Z has an inherent flat spot at around 4000 rpm and positioning the connection as far back as possible alleviates the problem to a great extent.

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the info and comments chaps, and for the above link. I do feel very much more informed now, this forum is great for harnessing information - thanks guys.

You boys and girls are so lucky, with all that room you have to fit headers. Have some headers from the US on my Sunbeam Tiger, and with that big V8 in a tiny 'Hillman Husky derived Van' chassis it doesn't leave you with a lot of room.

wrzvvNm.jpg

45wu3nm.jpg

I will give Sean a yell! thanks again.

Tony

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Tony, I'm probably one of the few people who know what a Hillman Husky is and I don't mean the Imp derivative.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
£950 sounds a bit on the high side for that which they're proposing - if you can wait, I'm working on this to fit S30s, (black background) or to give you an idea on price this (mauve background) is £475.

Or go 'full spagetti' (photo with yellow block) for £584.

Thanks for the kind words from others but whatever you choose, you're welcome to contact me for some neutral advice : as Nigel said, I'm a believer too in the 2-1 connection being as far back as possible, the black background photo manifold is destined as an entry level version for stock-carbed Zs, especially those with flat-top carbs and their lower choke assemblies.

Have a look (and read) here later today : http://www.datsun-zstory.com/

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Std carbs.jpg
    Std carbs.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 43
£950 sounds a bit on the high side for that which they're proposing - if you can wait, I'm working on this to fit S30s, (black background) or to give you an idea on price this (mauve background) is £475.

Or go 'full spagetti' (photo with yellow block) for £584.

Thanks for the kind words from others but whatever you choose, you're welcome to contact me for some neutral advice : as Nigel said, I'm a believer too in the 2-1 connection being as far back as possible, the black background photo manifold is destined as an entry level version for stock-carbed Zs, especially those with flat-top carbs and their lower choke assemblies.

What you should do sean is take a warm engined car, then on the same day fit all the exhausts and do dyno runs showing how the curve changes between them all.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What you should do sean is take a warm engined car, then on the same day fit all the exhausts and do dyno runs showing how the curve changes between them all.

Or better still match an exhaust to a customer's car using dyno runs. Now that would be good!

Might be awkward with stripped/broken manifold studs etc.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah thanks guys, that's what I 'should' do. At least mine (unlike several on the market) are concieved for other uses than straight drag-runs.

Rob - you're talking of bespoke exhausts ? Not the same ballpark figures.

Or better still match an exhaust to a customer's car using dyno runs. Now that would be good!

Might be awkward with stripped/broken manifold studs etc.

Rob I meant as a way of comparing each exhaust so you can see how each perform against each other. I guess get it here just about there type thing.

Like fujitsubo shoe with their old and New system.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob I meant as a way of comparing each exhaust so you can see how each perform against each other. ..................

I know so Sean brings a few systems over from France and we have a day at a rolling road place trying them on our cars and BUYING the best one for our needs. If we don't buy one we pay for the service anyway. I know I'm dreaming but it's a nice idea.

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
you're welcome to contact me for some neutral advice

Wow, thanks for that Sean - you really have got my juices flowing now.

Can I ask what the consensus is for using 'heat shields' in place when non-factory exhaust headers are used? Romas has suggested to me that I would need to fabricate something as the stock shields would not work. Can I rudimentary make one, or would it have to be an exact art to avoid any fuel heatsink vapourisation issues? Or something I need not worry about, though I am planning on using the car in warmer European climes on my travels :) Got stuck once at Le Mans Classic with the Tiger as the 'stroker' V8 gave off far too much heat for the Holley carb to deal with, (now cured!)

Thanks, Tony

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I know so Sean brings a few systems over from France and we have a day at a rolling road place trying them on our cars and BUYING the best one for our needs. If we don't buy one we pay for the service anyway. I know I'm dreaming but it's a nice idea.
I'd do it (expenses paid) !

You need just one car as to remove variables, so one car, any dyno, numbers do not matter, just the shape of the curves and how they compare with the various headers. Thats my thinking.

So you end up with a graphical comparison like here.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...298/00000000000000005120/00001708&prev=search

PGRr1Nw.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Agreed - one car, one day, one dyno !

But don't forget the difference an exhaust and diverse silencers can make - the manifold is only part of the system !