Engine teardown question

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi all, I’m in the process of disassembling my engine. I can’t tell when it last ran, at a best guess at least 20 if not 30 years ago. It turns over by hand so I know it’s not seized. It’s my first attempt at disassembling an engine so it’s a new one on me. I’m planning on rebuilding it to standard specification. Basically I need to know what I should get done aside from dropping off the bare head and block to be hot tanked. Should I ask the shop to do anything else?

When it comes to rebuilding should I look at replacing the valves and pistons due to the amount of time they have sat unused in god knows what state?

Sorry for the seemingly simple questions but I want to give this a good go and thought I’d best find out what I need to ask for before I drop off the disassembled engine and get it back and find out I didn’t ask for something that needs to be done before building it back up.

dav118118

Club Member
Hi,

Best thing to do is get hold of a copy of how to rebuild Nissan ohc engines. It’s been mentioned on many a thread on here and basically tells you everything u need to no. Your pistons and valves maybe fine but u will need to clean everything up to get rid of old oil, carbon build up etc then take it to an engine builder or machine shop to get everything measured for tolerances. There are many areas to take readings from and this book will tell u where, how to do it and what your limits are. Once u have done this u will have an idea what to do next. Whatever u do when u strip it is make sure u note where everything comes from. E. G what piston went where etc as all components would have bedded themselves in that spot and therefore need to be put back in that spot, unless u replace them of course. Good luck, luke

Geoff-R

Club Member
Cheers Luke. I do have a copy of that book somewhere actually. I’ll have to dig it out. I’ll see if I can get round to tearing the rest of the engine down this weekend. I’ve bagged and labelled everything that has come off so far thankfully.