Engine removal - why drain oil?

Rushingphil

Club Member
About to remove my engine. The manuals say to drain the oil first. But why do I need to or am I being dense? Only reason I can think of is because of the steep angle required.

Many thanks

Phil

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
You only need a steep angle if you’re removing the box at the same time. No need to drain oil, just don’t lay it on its side.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Many thanks to you both - thought I was going mad!

Presently planning on taking the engine and gearbox out together - but we'll see :conf2:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I drained mine as I was paranoid about reducing every Kg of load on the engine crane - but really didn’t need to! I also found taking the wheels off and putting the car on axle stands helped a lot: 1. For manoeuvring the very wide legs of my crane and 2. the front of the car will rise as the weight of the engine is lifted.

Rushingphil

Club Member
I drained mine as I was paranoid about reducing every Kg of load on the engine crane - but really didn’t need to! I also found taking the wheels off and putting the car on axle stands helped a lot: 1. For manoeuvring the very wide legs of my crane and 2. the front of the car will rise as the weight of the engine is lifted.

A couple of good points there - thanks! Although I'll probably be doing the job with the car on my lift.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just a tip about draining the gearbox - make sure you can remove the filler plug first.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Never tried taking both out at the same time always thought it was a faff not worth having. For the sake of something like 6 bolts on the bell housing I always felt separating it was easier. You’ll probably end up taking them apart anyway to either check or replace the clutch anyway.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Thanks. I've read lots of differing views on which way is easier! I'm doing this on my own so can imagine that removing both units will be a handful.

Also, going through it in my mind overnight; the car is on my lift so I doubt if I can get my gearbox jack under there anyway.

So will probably do it seperately after all!

Mr.G

Club Member
As others have said, leave the oil in. Especially if you are planning on storing the engine. I just collected my original L24 engine from long term storage over 20 years, the garage had a leak and lots of things had gone rusty. Luckily putting oil in the bores before I stored and leaving the oil in it meant that it turned with little effort.

I also agree to undo the box and remove separately, never done it the other way but can't think how it can be easier.

Rushingphil

Club Member
Many thanks for all the replies and advice :thumbs:

Ended up leaving the gearbox in the car - mainly because my lift would have made it difficult to pull the gearbox out attached to the engine.

Will update my thread shortly, but - is it ok to rest the engine on the sump? I've seen plenty of photos with them on the floor like that, but doesn't it damage the sump/faces?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Many thanks for all the replies and advice :thumbs:

Ended up leaving the gearbox in the car - mainly because my lift would have made it difficult to pull the gearbox out attached to the engine.

Will update my thread shortly, but - is it ok to rest the engine on the sump? I've seen plenty of photos with them on the floor like that, but doesn't it damage the sump/faces?
It's preferable not to - you can support it with blocks of wood under the sump bolt flangey bits.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I did this ....

2be4613ebf7abd8e8fe5c85e0fcaf52f.plist

921b63e76ea7e7fdf2d65f95a4d03f0e.jpg

It makes it much easier to handle too and roll about.