Engine oil

johnymd

Club Member
Just curious as to which oils people are using. I understand the critical ingredience is ZDDP but a lot of oils don't seam to list it. For example: Valvoline VR1 racing no longer has it listed on the description. Have they stopped adding it? I get through a lot of oil as I have too many cars that get used a lot so valvoline, bought 4 gallons at a time, was pretty economical to buy.

Anyway, what are the rest of you using?

Huw

Club Member
I use Millers Classic Sport 20w50 has lots of the ZDDP in it. Not the cheapest but the engine seems happy with it :)

240L31

Club Member
I use Mannol classic 10w40. Crazy cheap and with exceptional high zinc content (there's a lab analysis somewhere).

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I use Driven HR3, good thermal stability, low sheer and good viscosity ...

https://aaoil.co.uk/product/driven-hr3-15w-50-synthetic/

... but definitely not cheap.

20w50 feels like molasses to me and feels a little too much for an engine with good tolerances. I'm pretty sure it costs a couple of ponies too. ;)

Last edited:

Ped

Club Member
I use the Millers Classic Sport 20w 50, just had some delivered last week ready for spring. It was recommended by the late Mike Feeney a good few years ago and the engine seems fine with it.

TimFZ

Club Member
I use Millers Classic Pistoneeze oil in the UK where it is rare we have temperatures outside of 5c to 25c. I went for a 15W40 (instead of 20W50) as I dont push the car too hard so it wont be fryed on the road and I wanted an easier cold start. Oil pressure builds quickly and no noises from the engine. All seems good so far and not too expensive either. I would go for 3000 mile changes unless you are tracking it in which case, much shorter intervals and it may not be the best oil for you. Link below:

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/millers-oils-classic-pistoneeze-15w-40-engine-oil

Farmer42

Club Member
I seem to recall that I used Castrol Magnatec 10W40 fully synthetic on my last oil change. Not sure if that is ok but I have had no weird noises, knocks or smoke so assumed it was ok. Never sure whether I should be using fully or part synthetic though. I did hear somewhere that Magnatec should not be used on older classic engines though.