Engine oil

Andy79

Club Member
Hi all what engine oil should i be using for my L24 engine? it allegedly has about 40,ooo miles on it but could well have gone round the clock! From looking on line 10W-30 seems to be what most people recommend. What are you guys using?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I use oil that is 'thicker' when hot so at least 10W40. I've used 20W50 and even 10W60 when I was doing trackways.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
BUT....on the road, a lower viscosity will lubricate better, especially at start-up !

15W40 might be considered a good compromise.

After that, decide upon mineral....., semi-synthetic or fully synthetic.

Depends upon your use.

johnymd

Club Member
I’ve started using the vavoline vr1 after Jon’s recommendation. Saves be buying the zinc additive and it’s a bargain price. I got fed up trying to make my mind up and if it’s good enough for Jon it’s good enough for me.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes I thought so, but it doesn't seem to be available here.
I Also Learned from it that you want about 1400 ppm zinc and phosphate.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, they didn't test every type of oil in the world. Just a self funded, independent test.

Have you got dyno charts for every one of your exhausts on the same car yet;)

Have other exhaust and header suppliers got theirs ?:p And what would be the point as each of my headers are conceived for different applications....we've had this out before - one size fits all......I don't think so.:banghead:

My point being that whilst one therefore doesn't have to look further, if one does - there's more choice and perhaps closer to home ie less expensive (less shipping and customs etc).

I'll dig out the oil reference (and prices) I was reccommended by M of MZR for my new stroker - a UK-based supplier.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Castrol GTX should be ok,it’s only an old Datsun at the end of the day,never a problem with mine until I put a go faster engine in it then you might need something a bit thinner

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Castrol GTX should be ok,it’s only an old Datsun at the end of the day,never a problem with mine until I put a go faster engine in it then you might need something a bit thinner

Funnily enough, Dave reccommended Castrol Edge 10/60.