Engine Mounts

Farmer42

Club Member
I am thinking of replacing the engine mounts as part of my power steering build when I get to remove the front cross member but I'm not sure which ones will fit on my 75 Fairlady Z 2/2.

There seems to be varying choices when I look on RockAuto site for 240 & 280Z but only 1 option for the 260Z. Are there differences in fitment between them or are they all the same?

I also noticed that some have a locating dowel but some don't. I presume that would be needed for stability?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hello chap

I bought some engine mounts from MSA and when I went to replace mine, the locating dowel in one of them (left side) had to be half ground away as it just didn’t align. Not sure if this was a manufacturing defect as the right one fitted both sides (IIRC). I don’t think the tiny dowel makes a difference once you torque up the bolts.

Good luck.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Sigh - snapped a bolt when tightening my engine mounts, so i figure i may as well now replace them given I’ll have to remove one to get the bolt shaft out. From looking online, the parts available seem quite different from what i have fitted. Anyone had experience with replacing engine mounts?

11E09BD8-7241-470F-9186-5BEECBF2FB5F.jpeg

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Any tips on replacing them gratefully received? Hoping that I can just remove the bracket from the side of the engine, while the engine supported on a jack.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Any tips on replacing them gratefully received? Hoping that I can just remove the bracket from the side of the engine, while the engine supported on a jack.

When you support the engine be careful not to dent the sump (oil pick-up inside). If you have a strutbrace I'd use that too.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
This bits on the side I am trying to work out if these are a separate parts, and if so, what are they called? Do I need to replace them?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
you don't have to take the brackets off the block.
A block of wood across the sump should support the weight. you need to:
1. take the other top bolt out of the mount.
2. take the nut off the middle of the bottom of the mount.
3. lift the engine about 3 or 4 cm (making sure you don't stretch any wires or hoses)
4. lift the mount and pull it out.
5. replace etc.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Why don't you just drill it out then nut and bolt it. That way you don't have to move or lift anything

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Why don't you just drill it out then nut and bolt it. That way you don't have to move or lift anything

Ah, that might be an option, though not sure if I’ve got the clearance to get at it with a drill. Would probably have to remove the header, which would be a real pain.

8F5B07ED-4290-41BB-A27F-8FBB1EDDC434.jpeg