engine bore sonic testing

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think Pmac said he'd had a skiddell's tested recently.
I think Internet wisdom says you can't get reliably beyond 86 on L24 block.

I think Pmac said he'd had a skiddell's tested recently.
I think Internet wisdom says you can't get reliably beyond 86 on L24 block.

I was tongue in cheek about 91mm. I just want to see what I can and can't do.

Do you know where Skiddell got his block done? Shame he doesn't post on here anymore.

I've seen them on amazon/ebay.

When doing it yourself are you just taking readings from all over the bore so performing a downward spiral as such? or does it have a scan mode where you lower it in?

Or is it a case of its a 'good enough' type test?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm struggling to commit to one direction or another, neither are bad but I don't want my block on the limit.
What bore are you really looking for Jason? I would think you don't need to worry upto 86 on a p30 block.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Get one of those measuring devices then, looks like they're only £50. That must be cheaper than taking it somewhere and paying someone?

Get one of those measuring devices then, looks like they're only £50. That must be cheaper than taking it somewhere and paying someone?

It would, just not as reliable, however I think it'll do for my purposes.

It'll end up guiding me against the options i'm looking at for my block.

johnymd

Club Member
I've done quite a bit of this in the past (when I used to inspection pressure vessels for an insurance company) and its a pretty time consuming job. Not easy on tight internal radiuses unless you have a suitable head to suit the radius. I'll have to try and find the tester I used.