Engine bay wiring Q. (Pics)

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Does this look right? I think the coil and dist are fine as they came from my 260z like that.

It's mostly the other 2 images and where do the 2 circled wires go to?

When I plug the battery in all that works is the clock so I've got plenty more to do!

Thanks,

Wes

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    617 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    887.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 45

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The black wire with a ring on the end looks like an earth wire, not sure about the other one. If there is a yellow/white wire in the bundle of wires next to the coil then that needs to be connected to the water temperature sender in the thermostat housing.

If nothing else is working then the first thing I would check would be the fusible links and the fuses.

Also, for the tach to work you'll quite possibly need a ballast resistor connected to the coil.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Oh right, in that case I have no idea :p

I know that I had to reconnect a bypassed ballast resistor for my tach to work ('74 260z with standard coil), but then it might also depend on if you have a current sensing tach.

Has your entire engine bay been POR-15'd?

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
It was painted Matt black about 7 years ago and had been in a dusty garage ever since!

Mr.F

Inactive
In starter motor picture: black wire with ring is an earth, The other wire looks like it should be the starter solenoid "S" terminal - a small spade terminal between the big power cable connectors.

For the 280ZX conversion the ballast resistor is removed, but the wire(s) from the incoming 12V end are connected to the outgoing wire(s). If any are left out or the 12V supply simply connected to the coil "+", the tachometer is "left out" of the circuit.

280ZX distributor module has two terminals "B" and "C". "B"= 12V and can be directly connected to coil "+". "C" = coil and can be directly connected to coil "-", i.e. a simple two wire sub-loom. Ideally (but not essentially) an earth tag is applied to one of the base fixing bolts of the distributor.
The yellow wire in the distributor photo is for the water temperature sender in the thermostat housing.

Mr.F

Inactive
Just a thought - test everything you are unsure about with a multimeter, battery connected and ignition on to ensure you don't ground any live wires. All earths are black on Nissans of this age, but you appear to have had a number of wires replaced with non-standard colours.
Wherever non-standard wiring has been made up by the previous owner(s), then pay particular care when connecting up!

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I've just noticed an additional black wire in the starter picture. One is a female bullet connector and 1 a female spade connector. The non standard coil/dist wiring is mine from use in my 260z
Thanks again,
Wes

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
In the starter motor picture the spade goes as mike said to the starter motor. The bullet goes to the break failure switch which should be on the wing below the master cylinder. It has break pipes ging to it from the mater cylinder, the switch is on the top.

The Black ring connector is as stated an earth which on mine goes onto the bolt that holds the brake failure switch to the wing.

Hope that helps.

If I can find a phote that helps I will post it up.

Mike