Electronic ignition conversion

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

I'm looking to replace my current mechanical dizzy with electronic on my S30 but I am not sure what to go for.

I have seen on previous threads about swapping the whole dizzy for a 280ZX electronic version but they seem to be difficult to get hold of. One did come up on e-bay recently but I didn't win the bid.

I have looked at the Lumenition system sold by MJP and I have also seen a full replacement dizzy by Cardone on e-bay that I can order from the US but I am not sure if this will fit or work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distribut...60Z-2-6L-L6-/351407249181?hash=item51d181171d

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Better still, does anyone have a spare working 280ZX dizzy they would be prepared to sell?

Cheers

Paul

Mr.F

Inactive
Link looks like the early two wire version of the 280Z distributor. Needs additional components to be a "system" and also lacks base and timing parts so assumes you can transfer them off your old distributor.

Farmer42

Club Member
I've got a 280zx dizzy, I can try and dig it out if you want?

Thanks Franky that would be great. At least I know from previous threads that a 280ZX dizzy will fit and work.

If you find it, please PM me with the details of what you would want for it presuming it works ok.

Cheers

Paul

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Was super handy link when I did mine.

Once you do it Paul, you won't look back - he engine runs, idles, revs out so much more smoothly and purposefully!!!

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
im going to use the mjp lumintion kit when i eventually get around to fitting it.
once on there i will let you know how the car goes.
albeit it cant run worse then it does right now with the point setup.

Farmer42

Club Member
Update>

Now fitted the E12-80 Dizzy from a 280ZX thanks to Franky & the engine runs lovely. However I can't get the Tach to work.

I have followed all the instructions in the link on Sean's earlier post but I must be doing something wrong with the wires as it won't register revs.

Which of the 2 black/white wires on a 260Z connects to the green/white wire and which one goes to the coil. How can you tell the difference?

At the moment, both B/W wires go to the +ve side of the coil which was how it was before I swapped the dizzy. The G/W wire was connected to the ballast resistor but no other wires were connected which makes be wonder how it worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
On mine, the longer b/w connects to the g/w one and short b/w to positive side of coil

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
Did you manage to fix this Farmer42?
I have exactly the same problem as you!
Would appreciate an update if you make any progress.

Farmer42

Club Member
Did you manage to fix this Farmer42?
I have exactly the same problem as you!
Would appreciate an update if you make any progress.

Hi

Yes I did fix it. It was exactly as Jonbills said and was really easy. Just join the G/W wire to the longer of the 2 B/W wires and connect the other to the +ve terminal on the coil. You should only have 1 B/W wire going to the coil.

Good luck.