Electric Z at the NEC

MCBladeRun

Club Member
View attachment 54498View attachment 54499

I didn’t get any details as it was one of the last things I saw as leaving .

It just doesn’t quite have the same look ……
Decided to look at their website:

Silentclassics.co.uk

36kWh 600V battery pack
240kW electric motor
Complete bare metal restoration
BC coilovers
Onboard 7kW charger
Optional CCS rapid charger
Air conditioning

Be interesting to see when it's done, looking at their Instagram page, they've mounted an electric motor onto the gearbox?

Robotsan

Club Member
Decided to look at their website:

Silentclassics.co.uk

36kWh 600V battery pack
240kW electric motor
Complete bare metal restoration
BC coilovers
Onboard 7kW charger
Optional CCS rapid charger
Air conditioning

Be interesting to see when it's done, looking at their Instagram page, they've mounted an electric motor onto the gearbox?

I saw this video one youtube where another company connected it to a manual box too - seems like a much better idea when converting a classic:

Geoff-R

Club Member
I completely missed this, feel like I could have done with 2 days at the show, one with my son and one without!

However, I'm torn about the idea of this, in one way it sort of futureproofs the vehicle but also turns it in to a car that is much like any other EV on the road. I drove to the show in an EV which is my company car and that works, purely from a BIK point of view but that's where it ends. EVs are quick but lack soul and emotion, 2 things I think are really important when we drive classics of any kind. Who knows, maybe in 20 years I'll change my mind.

Reactions: Ian

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I completely missed this, feel like I could have done with 2 days at the show, one with my son and one without!

However, I'm torn about the idea of this, in one way it sort of futureproofs the vehicle but also turns it in to a car that is much like any other EV on the road. I drove to the show in an EV which is my company car and that works, purely from a BIK point of view but that's where it ends. EVs are quick but lack soul and emotion, 2 things I think are really important when we drive classics of any kind. Who knows, maybe in 20 years I'll change my mind.
I'm of the thinking that people are going to be stung by adopting a technology in its infancy. I have a vested interest in it from a business point of view - it should be readily available, easy to maintain, replace, charge and upgrade. It also should be flexible; want to stick your battery in your mates scooter? Want to swap it for the one in your solar battery at home? Caravan? Wishful thinking 🤔

Look at diesel, was a poor way of powering engines for a while until it was perfected and now they're throwing it away for something that allegedly doesn't emit emissions, but only when it's matched with a renewable resource, don't mention the fact its charged via non renewable resources please and ignore those lithium mines with child workers please 🥺

Sorry Geoff, went on a rant 😅

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Seen a few classic electric conversions and what always gets me is the range. Always seems tiny due to lack of space for the batteries.

arcdef

Club Member
150 was the range on the one at the NEC
seems reasonable, i'd place a bet that most classic car owners rarely drive more than this in a week let alone a day.

Wonder what the cost of the conversion would set you back.

Geoff-R

Club Member
I'm of the thinking that people are going to be stung by adopting a technology in its infancy. I have a vested interest in it from a business point of view - it should be readily available, easy to maintain, replace, charge and upgrade. It also should be flexible; want to stick your battery in your mates scooter? Want to swap it for the one in your solar battery at home? Caravan? Wishful thinking 🤔

Look at diesel, was a poor way of powering engines for a while until it was perfected and now they're throwing it away for something that allegedly doesn't emit emissions, but only when it's matched with a renewable resource, don't mention the fact its charged via non renewable resources please and ignore those lithium mines with child workers please 🥺

You're right though. I was reading about the battery exchanges, that's certainly an avenue. I do think though that the industry is being lead down a narrative dictated by government who do not work within the industry. Batteries are dirty things to produce and surely whacking a battery in an S30 chassis is going to totally change the dynamics of how it drives. Also if the quoted figures of 150 miles range is what they state then you can bet it's going to be closer to 100 miles on a spirited drive, the only thing going in the S30s favour is it's weight, because all the current EVs on the road weigh an absurd amount!

toopy

Club Member

And Ive yet to see a mainstream article explaining exactly how end of life batteries are recycled and at what cost, all we ever hear about is zero emissions the rest is conveniently left under the carpet!