Electric Fuel pump + carbs+regulator

datsfun

Club Member
Looking for some advice and experience on what fellow ownwers are using for their carb set up.

I have a red top facet fuel pump, fltter king regulator and webbers (40's) that I need to mount on the car shortly. Pictures of your set up will be most helpful:thumbs:

My understanding is that the facet pumps must be mounted below the fuel tank as they are gravity fed. Any one confirm this? There are lots of mixed opinions on facet pumps and many folk seem to have has multiple failures on their units. Hopefully mine will give me more than a few years use?

As for the regulator, is there any where in particular that is preferredlocation wise? Inner wings seems to be the most popular choice.

Welcome all opnions as not fussed that it must be stock/factory location etc

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is this on a Z or another Datsun?

On my 240Z I had the Facet pump (been 100% reliable over about 8 years) mounted up front quite high up and it ran ok but I've now mounted it at the rear in front of the tank because folks said I should. I used a stock Z (260?) pump bracket - thanks Duncan.

I have a filter BEFORE the pump (yes I know the pump has an inbuilt filter) and mounted my regulator on a bracket off the small triangular body section above the airtube ducting (Rad panel - inner wing).

See post 14 (Mr F) in this Thread:

http://zclub.net/forum/s30-240z-260z-280z-engine/20015-checking-fuel-pressure.html

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My Facet red top is mounted to the inside of the spare wheelwell (as a reference for height) and the regulater is on the fire-wall up high. The fuel line runs along the fire-wall to the carbs - no return.

datsfun

Club Member
Is this on a Z or another Datsun?

Does it matter? Moved on from Zeds to the more exotic datsun range:devil:;)

I have a filter BEFORE the pump (yes I know the pump has an inbuilt filter) and mounted my regulator on a bracket off the small triangular body section above the airtube ducting (Rad panel - inner wing).

See post 14 (Mr F) in this Thread:

http://zclub.net/forum/s30-240z-260z-280z-engine/20015-checking-fuel-pressure.html

Thanks for the ^^ reply. I suspect that I will end up mounting the fuel pump below the tank/ on boot floor and still undecided about the exact location of the regulator? The filter king is a 2 in 1 and its quite a biggish item...shame I cant mount it somwhere out of sight? :unsure:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've been meaning to update that thread with where I ended up.
I've go the filter king regulator after the carbs on return line (so could hide it under car by tank if i wanted) and I've got it all set sustaining 3 to 4 psi at all loads. So I'm happy.
In the end, my red top clone pump couldn't sustain this, so i returned it and I'm using a procomp 140 gph pump I got cheapish on eBay.

Two other interesting notes:
without a return line and with regulator before carbs, neither pump could give me a sustained 3 psi. Perhaps down to my low spec filterking.

I nearly gave up completely until I discovered fuel surge under acceleration was a cause of my pressure loss. Even with 1/3 tank on a roundabout or 1st gear acceleration, the pickup isn't getting fuel.
So I'll have to keep more than 1/2 tank full for track days.