Easy electric fan

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hello all, could anyone give me simple instructions to wire in a switch to turn on an aftermarket fan. I'm going to have a toggle switch in the place of the cigarette lighter. It doesn't need to be temp controlled, just a switch that I can turn on when she starts to run a bit hot!

Cheers as always

Matt

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Is that safe? I mean would you not run the risk of overheating if say the temp guage failed or you simply forgot to check the guage?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Haha, no I mean the electric fan will be in addition to the standard fan! I'm also going to adding an oil cooler that I have.

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Oh I get ya now!!! Well im afraid im no help to you because im HOPELESS at wiring!

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Haha, yeah me too!! I don't really care how scruffily I wire in this extra fan. As long as it starts and stop when I decide!

Mr.F

Inactive
simple instructions to wire in a switch to turn on an aftermarket fan

Email me for the diagram that I just sent Jay - it's for twin fans, but includes the detail you need.
My attachment facility is fubar'd...

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Why would you do both fans matt ?

I thought people put in an electric fan to get rid of the pulley fan ? (and the noise that comes with it)

Because I am thinking about it too.

ps what kind of fan did you use ?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Why would you do both fans matt ?

If you have a standard fan and your cooling system is working as Datsun intended then you don't need an electric fan.

I was a fan of the standard fan but mine gradually cracked and holed my rad. Fitted a Thermo controlled fan and noticed the power increase.

For a non-trackcar I would still say a GOOD standard fan is fine.

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
If you have a standard fan and your cooling system is working as Datsun intended then you don't need an electric fan.

I was a fan of the standard fan but mine gradually cracked and holed my rad. Fitted a Thermo controlled fan and noticed the power increase.

For a non-trackcar I would still say a GOOD standard fan is fine.

That power increase comes from the loss of the drag that the pulley fan brings with it ? What do you think the hp increase is Rob ? 4-5 hp ?
What kind of fan do you use? I found this on a local dealer, and uses universal clips to hook into the radiator:

http://www.biesheuvel.nl/store/product/2012/13_inch_fan
http://www.biesheuvel.nl/store/product/2006/bevestiging_set_pacet_fan

Its from Pacet, which I think is UK material

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hey mate. Basically, I want an additional fan because sat in traffic the engine runs at the top of the middle third on the temp gauge. It also does this on an 'energetic' drive/thrash! I also have an oil cooler that I'll fit eventually. My engine bay gets so hot that the fuel begins to boil away a bit. I guess Mr F will stock the oil cooler adaptor for the filter fitting bit??

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hey mate. Basically, I want an additional fan because sat in traffic the engine runs at the top of the middle third on the temp gauge. It also does this on an 'energetic' drive/thrash! I also have an oil cooler that I'll fit eventually. My engine bay gets so hot that the fuel begins to boil away a bit. I guess Mr F will stock the oil cooler adaptor for the filter fitting bit??

My point is that your car shouldn't get that hot, more fans is only masking the problem. Perhaps you need a better rad, I have a high efficiency core in mine. I do run an oil cooler too. If your car gets hot even when moving through the air then you need to find out why.

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
My point is that your car shouldn't get that hot, more fans is only masking the problem. Perhaps you need a better rad, I have a high efficiency core in mine. I do run an oil cooler too. If your car gets hot even when moving through the air then you need to find out why.

I think Rob has a point here. I still use the stock Rad and fan, and never had any problems. It stays in the middle, even after a "fast" drive. Maybe you should get the rad checked, or better still, get an alu/copper one ?

Hendrik