E10 Fuel

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Not sure about you chaps, but for the £3 difference in a full tank, I go Optimax every-time. The car runs cooler, I get a couple more ponies and reduce the risk of knock too. But I only do 1k - 2k miles a year so the difference in cost is very small compared with the expensive parts we buy for these beasts!

It seems Super unleaded will remain E5 so we are OK for now ...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/government-plans-e10-petrol-switch-2021

Worst case, we get a good excuse to replace those old fuel lines we haven’t seen for ages ;)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Not sure about you chaps, but for the £3 difference in a full tank, I go Optimax every-time. The car runs cooler, I get a couple more ponies and reduce the risk of knock too. But I only do 1k - 2k miles a year so the difference in cost is very small compared with the expensive parts we buy for these beasts!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/government-plans-e10-petrol-switch-2021

Worst case, we get a good excuse to replace those old fuel lines we haven’t seen for ages ;)
Where are you getting those extra ponies Ali? are you spending the £3 on a Mars bar and putting your feet through the floor and doing a Fred flintstone?

Barricade

Forum User

I’ve religiously used VPower in all my cars for these exact reasons. More power and cooler cylinder temps. My FK8 CTR actually is recommended to be run on 97 RON minimum by the manufacturer.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Where are you getting those extra ponies Ali? are you spending the £3 on a Mars bar and putting your feet through the floor and doing a Fred flintstone?

I the s2000 I very much noticed the difference between Optimax at the time and normal fuel.

In the Z I think it’s more psychological ponies but ponies all the same ;)

But don’t take my word for it ....

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
There isn't more energy in 98 octane fuel than 95 octane fuel, there's just more resistance to knock. Therefore to get more power out of higher octane fuel you need more compression, more ignition advance or perhaps leaner mixture.
Put another way, if a given engine and map isn't knocking with 95 Ron, you'll get no difference at all with 98 Ron.
But sure, it's decent insurance against knock and maybe the detergents package is better.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
There isn't more energy in 98 octane fuel than 95 octane fuel, there's just more resistance to knock. Therefore to get more power out of higher octane fuel you need more compression, more ignition advance or perhaps leaner mixture.
Put another way, if a given engine and map isn't knocking with 95 Ron, you'll get no difference at all with 98 Ron.
But sure, it's decent insurance against knock and maybe the detergents package is better.

What I certainly noticed in the S2k was a happier keener engine all round. On 95 it got very unhappy idling in commuting traffic after a while and I had to keep blipping it to clear whatever it was. Never had that issue on 98. Maybe it was the detergents?

The one time I accidentally picked up the wrong nozzle I could feel the difference - had to go back and check the receipt and sure enough it was 95.

I don’t know enough science to know for sure, but I do know I can feel the difference in certain car (not all) + what I’ve seen / read about that says there is definitely a difference. And I did say 1 or 2 ponies, not 20!! ;) My 1.6 Saxo VTS never went or felt faster with it, but my turbo Mr 2 definitely did.

We can argue this all day but for me the 5th gear dyno runs took the guess work out and presented factual info, no?

To your point, the detergent pack is defo better according to my friend at Shell. Also on my old A4 1.9Tdi PD engine that was beautifully remapped by R-Tech up your way, I found that on supermarket fuels it smoked like a chimney when WOT but on the Shell stuff it was a rarity. Again, I am told by someone at BP that the supermarket stuff has a different detergent pack.

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yeah, a modernish EMS can I think quite quickly recognise the difference and take advantage of it, so I would believe that gti and some other cars make more power on 98 Ron. But not your Z!