Dynomat

Fairlineguy

Club Member
With the car soon to be back from paint shop I want to order up so dynomat insulation
Has any one any ideal of how of the stuff is need to do the interior and doors.

johnymd

Club Member
Depends how heavy you want to make the car. The dynamite type sound deadening works really well as pads in the centre of large bits of metal that may resonate and you don't need to cover the whole panel. IMO it's best to look at how car manufacturers deal with sound and copy their principles. You may also want to look at dealing with the high frequencies too.

andrew muir

Club Member
I used Silent Coat significantly cheaper than the overpriced Dynomat, as long as its made from butyl rubber compound anything will do,
Use it sparingly as its heavy stuff only cover around 25% of a panel for it to be effective, and still not make the car too heavy. Can be easily cut and bent to shap.
Surface needs to be very clean for it to stick properly etc.
I only used a bout 6 sq ft to do my whole car. Still have some left as well.
I used small amounts in the rear quarters and door skins and the boot area and spare tyre well. I also used it on the floor panels as well.

:thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
Has anyone found a product that is similar in look to the factory pads? I notice the modern rubbers are very different to the old bitumen based stuff.

andrew muir

Club Member
The rubber products perform a lot better though!
But no havn't found anything that looks like the old bitumen based stuff.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Here's some bitumen-based stuff .... just up the road from me, luckily. Great little firm. And it has the added attraction of looking like the tunnel vinyl!

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-985-sound-and-vibration-damping-sheet.aspx

I think if I redo my whole floors next winter, I'll replace the old 70s bitumen stuff with some of this maybe.

I redid the whole of my Mustang with Dynamat when I restored it but the exhaust was so loud (and I mean LOUD) it made little or no difference to me so effectively a waste of money!

EDIT: just seen Franky has already posted a link!