DVLA and V5 advice needed....please

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
A friend here has bought from Mr A. (a local here), a restorable Mini Cooper. The V5 is in the name of Mr B (in the UK and no longer contactable) and has 1x letter wrongly ciopied down from the cars' VIN.

The car has been restored and the local licensing authority here won't accept the car because of the descrepancy between the VIN and the V5 despite back-up proof from British Heritage that the VIN is correct !

It seems to remain to contact the DVLA and ask them to correct the error on the V5 but this raises some questions and hence my thread here :

Will the DVLA correct the V5 without needing an independant garage/CT station to physically verify the correct VIN ?
If, when corrected, to whom will they send the new V5 ?

Does anyone have any experience of this or simply know the answers please ?

Thanks for your thoughts, help and advice.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Does the V5 have the new keeper's section? That way you could 'sell' the car to a friendly person in the UK who could then deal with the paperwork discrepancy.

hallie

Club Member
The DVLA will be next to useless in sorting this out I suspect.

I have a Japanese imported car that was incorrectly listed as a forklift instead of Private light goods. Despite sending images of the car and the stamped on chassis number they wouldnt change it.

In the end I had to get a letter from Subaru UK saying that the car was indeed a car before they would change it.

At the very least I think they would want to inspect the car but as everything is sent to Swansea these days you may get lucky

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The V5 is 100% intact so a 'sale' could be envisioned.

Although Hallie throws some doubt upon the DVLAs willingness to correct what is obviously their mistake and probably since a long time - there have been 6x owners in all from 1968.

Farmer42

Club Member
On the current V5C, there is a place to correct the VIN details so if you have one of those, fill in the new keeper section with the address and correct the VIN at the same time and send it to DVLA. You will probably need to attach the British Heritage letter as proof plus a couple of pics of the VIN on the car. If it is going to stay in France, you will probably need to complete Section 11 about permanent export.

If you have a very old V5 it probably won't have all that so fill in the new keeper bit and attach a covering letter with a copy of the British Heritage letter to correct the VIN & export the car. I managed to do it for my car plus change the vehicle model from Datsun 240Z to Nissan Fairlady Z so it can be done. I would advise keeping copies of everything though.

Might be worth ringing DVLA to ask the questions. They can be quite helpful sometimes!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks - there is a space (no.24) on this V5 to note any 'changes'.

My worry about completing the section 11 is that the DVLA will quietly file it away, doing nothing because the car has now been permenantly exported and no longer their concern !

8658kv

Club Member
Thanks - there is a space (no.24) on this V5 to note any 'changes'.

My worry about completing the section 11 is that the DVLA will quietly file it away, doing nothing because the car has now been permenantly exported and no longer their concern !

Sean

The usual mistake DVLA make with the old
mini vin, they put a 5 instead of S .
Should read 2s often put 25.

As said above send all information with pics of chassis numbers, should correct without too much trouble.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Steve.

This one is a Q : The VIN that is on the V5 has an Q instead of an 0. Q isn’t used in the sequence by Austin Mini, only digits !

I hear you on the DVLA but how to when the name on the V5 isn't that of the curent owner who's in another country ?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Dvla do get things wrong, they had my car down as having 5 seats but I got it changed no problem , sounds like it would be best if you get someone in the UK to apply for the V5 then get it changed to then get it done where you are. If you have supporting documents it should not be a problem.