Driveshaft upgrades

johnymd

Club Member
I'm looking to upgrade the diff and axles on my 2 zeds that now run stroker engines. Both of these have very clunky drivetrains that I feel wont last much longer when I start to abuse them. So I'm looking at CV axle conversions to go with 2 of the diffs I currently have. These include: R200 plate 3.9, R180 STI helical 3.54, R180 quaif 3.34, R160 suretrack, plus sever open R200's.

So I'm looking for options that include direct fit to R180/160 STI diffs and and standard datsun flanges. I do have STI to datsun custom flanges too.

I recently looked a a US company selling shafts in either direct STI fit or datsun flange but cant seam to find them now. I'm sure the webite started with datsun and these shafts were under $1000.

Any help much appriciated.

240L31

Club Member
I've got the Datsun**stomods ones too. The left hand rubber boot is very close to the stock wishbone and will expand and fail at high speeds (180 km/h+). This happend twice with my car and also with a friend's car.

If you fit a smaller diameter universal boot before, you can avoid a big mess under your car!
41350914vl.jpg

tyroguru

Club Member
Can anyone with some insight into CV axles provide any informed opinions on the difference between the two sets that are referenced here? Just wondering why the price difference in the two offerings (Datsun RestoMods == $795 and ZCarGarage == $1600). I'm clueless and in no way am I trying to encourage a CV axle based fight!

240L31

Club Member
It depends on your setup. With the Subaru r180 (which usually requires an adapter) I'd go for the Datsunrestomods ones. It's just much better to have a direct plug and play solution. The only downside is you can't get any spare parts (like bearing carrier or the axle itself).

The zcargarage kit is fully rebuildable but would require an additional adapter for the Subaru diff.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
As Tim mentioned above, it's to do with how much a CV axel can withstand before it becomes non-serviceable. Certain material makeups can't take punishment as much as others and that's reflected in the price. Although it's only speculation - not as If anyone has done a test between them all

240L31

Club Member
You're right, my point was a different one though: the Datsunrestomods axle is fully custom made, welded and machined, so you can't get any spare parts.

But I have to say: I abused my axles quite a bit during the last 12 months and couldn't find any major wear when I disassembled them this winter. I have a vibration issue but I'm not 100% certain where it comes from.

All with the 315Nm stroker engine

arcdef

Club Member
I've got the Datsun**stomods ones too. The left hand rubber boot is very close to the stock wishbone and will expand and fail at high speeds (180 km/h+). This happend twice with my car and also with a friend's car.

If you fit a smaller diameter universal boot before, you can avoid a big mess under your car!

I don't plan on driving that fast tbh so hopefully they will survive my modest backroad driving!

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I made my own using custom driveshafts from GB Engineering mounted onto Sierra Lobro joints, Machined up a couple of adaptors to mount the Lobro to the Nissan Flanges on diff and stub axle. Lobro’s only cost about £100 for 4 and Driveshafts not too expensive. I’ll look for pics but can’t find any right now