Drag Race Challenge 2005 - Provisional dates

Mr.F

Inactive
The provisional dates for 2005 (fitted around SEZ and HSCC committments) are as follows:

13th March Round 1 Santa Pod
10th April Round 2 Santa Pod
22nd May Round 3 Santa Pod
18th-19th June JapShow / Round 4 Santa Pod. Test day 18th optional.
17th July Round 5 Santa Pod
21st August Round 6 Santa Pod

9th October JapShow / RWYB - Club display. Not booked as round of the Challenge.

23rd October Alternative Rain-off replacement date - to be used if any of the six rounds are completely wiped out by rain.

Other Santa Pod dates of interest:

15th May Redline Rumble - Redline magazine sponsored RWYB for all modified cars.
3rd July Retro Cars Show - RWYB and show for modified Classic cars sponsored by Retro Magazine.

These dates have also been published on 300zx.co.uk as they are initiating a similar series and will hopefully participate in ours. I will also offer the dates to 350zuk.com members. Only official Z Club members are eligible to score points and take trophies however!

neil300zx

Well-Known Forum User
Hi mike
Can we just turn up for the drag challange or do we need to book, i thought i would give it a go this year, could be fun trying to get complete wally to come as well

PS check out replacment filter thread i have posted a question for you

Thanks

Mr.F

Inactive
All these dates are Run What Ya Brung (RWYB) dates, so open to anyone who can pay the entry fee and produce a valid driving licence. We try to co-ordinate an area somewhere in the pits where Z Club members congregate, swap times, buff cars etc. Just register your presence with me and make sure I have your best result before the end of the day!

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Will be attending as much as poss. Using winter to get the NOS fitted and fettled. Also that new clutch I've been promising myself :)

(once the post-Xmas poverty has been resolved that is)

TL

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
i too would also like to have a go at this, what sort of mods are permitted for each class or would this be hard work to post?also if i fitted a 600 brake bbc lump and said it was standard 2,6 would you notice? not that i intend to cheat, honest guv!:D

Mr.F

Inactive
The last recorded printing of the Z Club Drag Race Challenge Rules that I can find in the archives is from 1994! In the expectation that at least a few things have changed since then and, by request of some participants preparing cars for the 2005 season, I'm presenting you with a revised rule set which is open for some discussion if necessary:

The classes operated by the Z Club are as follows. Due to smaller numbers participating in 2004, some classes have now been amalgamated (there's still twelve classes!!). All stock classes should be seen to be fitted with the original capacity engine. Capacity increase = Modified!:
:S30: Stock 240Z / 260Z (i.e. S30 models):
Must run standard carburettors (1.75" SU type or direct equivalent, i.e. 260Z can run 240Z Hitachi or British 1.75" SU or Stromberg) on standard inlet manifold. Exhaust manifold may be replaced by tubular header design and rest of system may be of modified type. No modified camshafts or head work (other than routine skim) allowed. Engine must be of standard capacity (or overbore within standard limits). No traction aids allowed (LSD or equivalent, slicks, undersize wheel / tyre combination. No removal of trim, seats or other standard equipment to reduce weight. MUST be driven to the track and have current MOT and tax. Target E.T. high 15 second.

Modified 240Z / 260Z:
The spririt of this class is normally expected Clubman type modification - 2" SU carbs or triple Weber / D'ellorto up to 45 design, injection systems in the spirit of Clubman's triple carb. replacement, head work and camshaft free, fuel systems may be modified, exhausts free, LSD or equivalent allowed, but no slicks. Engine capacity increase within the standard Z parameters, i.e. up to 2.8. No nitrous oxide injection allowed. Janspeed type turbo systems acceptable, but will be inspected and times posted subject to scrutiny. The vehicle should be normally trimmed for road use and driven to the track, MOT'd and taxed. Weight reduction by removal of spare wheel allowed. Target E.T. low fourteens. New and innovative systems will be subject to moderation dependant upon results achieved!

:280Z: :Z31: Stock 280ZX / 300ZX Z31 NA:
Standard fuel injection systems only. Otherwise as for Stock 240 / 260. Target E.T. low sixteens.

Stock 300ZX Turbo Z31:
As above, no turbo boost devices allowed. Target E.T. mid to low fifteens.

Modified 280ZX / 300ZX Z31:
Head, cam, exhaust as per modified 240Z / 260Z. All Janspeed / Reece-Fish / stock (import) turbo 280ZX included. Aftermarket injection systems allowed, modified ECU allowed. Increased boost levels allowed on stock or other turbo. LSD or equivalent allowed, no slicks, no nitrous oxide injection. Normally trimmed for road use, MOT'd, taxed and driven to the track. Weight reduction by spare wheel removal allowed. Target E.T. mid fourteens (?).

:Z32: Stock 300ZX Z32 Normally Aspirated:
As for above classes, induction and exhaust modifications allowed. Target E.T. high fifteens.

Modified 300ZX Z32 Normally Aspirated:
Free mods within the spirit of the modified regulations established in the classes above. No slicks, no nitrous. Target E.T. high fourteens.

Stock 300ZX Z32 TT:
Induction and exhaust mods allowed. No boost upgrades, no slicks, no nitrous. Target E.T. mid to low fourteens.

Modified 300ZX Z32 TT:
Free mods within the spirit of the regulations established for the classes above. No slicks, no nitrous. Target E.T. low thirteens / high twelves.

:350Z: Stock 350Z:
Induction and exhaust mods allowed. No forced induction, no slicks, no nitrous. Target E.T. low fourteen / high thirteen.

Modified 350Z:
Free mods including forced induction within the spirit of the rules established for other modified classes. No slicks, no nitrous. Target E.T. - who knows, but possibly high twelves?

Super Modified (all models):
Anything goes - engine transplants, capacity increase outside the boundaries of normal engine work (e.g. 3.1 L-series), lightweight by trim removal, fibreglass panels, slicks, nitrous, etc. etc. ALL race cars will be deemed Super Modified, regardless. Traditionally, Clubman cars running 48 choke triple carbs (or bigger), monster turbos, turbo or supercharger through triple carbs or modified injection, fitment of any nitrous system (regardless of other mods), use of slicks (regardless of other mods) and any mods deemed "not in the spirit of the competition" will see you placed in this all-comers class. All competitors should, however, be road legal, but not necessarily driven to the track. Purpose built drag racers in current competition will not be eligible for points in the Challenge, but will compete by invitation. Target E.T. - road legal best with L-series engine 12.4 by Dean Bottriell's turbo 240Z, transplant engine, road legal best 10.4 by Mike Feeney SBC 240Z, purpose-built race car best 8.9 (in Z Club series) by Mike Feeney, RatZ BBC.

Invitational Z:
There will be the facility for non Z Club members in any class to record times and participate in the competition, but they will not be eligible for points in the Championship.

Invitational non-Z:
There will be the facility for members and non-members to participate in cars other than Z models at any event, but they will not be eligible for points in the Championship.

General:
Cars need to conform to standard conditions of safe use and may be subject to inspection by Santa Pod staff if they are considered to have a problem (car safety or driver ability). You should ensure that your car does not drip or spill any fluids on the track while participating. This will lead to exclusion until the problem is fixed. Seat belts must be worn for all runs, windows wound up and body covered by clothing (no bare chests, arms covered). Covertibles may require the use of arm restraints. Cars capable of exceeding 100mph in the quarter on a regular basis may require that the driver wears a crash helmet. Consumption of alcohol at the track will exclude that driver from participating.

Signing on requires a valid driver's licence and payment of the relevant fee to Santa Pod (separate to entry fee to the venue).

Z Club-wise, you need to register your presence with the organiser fo rthe day (usually me) and keep them informed of your best time before you leave (no info, no points!). Z Club members should be prepared to show their membership card to prove their status.

I have dropped the Bracket trophy aspect this year in the cause of simplification and on the basis that entries are expected to be increased for 2005. The Japanese Performance days will have a member's vote "Best Z" trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
if i fitted a 600 brake bbc lump and said it was standard 2,6 would you notice?

Yes...

Note I have given some guide E.T.s based on previous experience for each class - any competitor significantly exceeding these guidelines might be the subject of some closer scrutiny (trackside engine teardowns compulsory, that sort of thing...:D ).

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Not going to be built in time :(

However, changed my mind on the engine Mike :D - few bits of electrickery coming in to play (like an ECU) :cool: might even have funny gas too :eek:

Should be ready for 2006 challenge.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Well you can count on one RED 300ZX Z32 N/A in the Stock Class being ready for March 13th.
Its RED, its a SWB, and its a Slick Top! Its bound to win ,cos we all know RED cars are faster!! :D :Z32: :) :Z32:

chunk

Im not normal
Club Member
pmac said:
Well you can count on one RED 300ZX Z32 N/A in the Stock Class being ready for March 13th.
Its RED, its a SWB, and its a Slick Top! Its bound to win ,cos we all know RED cars are faster!! :D :Z32: :) :Z32:
How do pete, you know that gunmetal is faster
smallz.jpg

Ill hopefully be at all the dates, just depending on the car at the mo, it should be done.

Mr.F

Inactive
I'm assuming from the lack of comment on the modified rules and regs that everyone is happy with them and I can authorise printing in the next Z Club magazine??

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I'm assuming from the lack of comment on the modified rules and regs that everyone is happy with them and I can authorise printing in the next Z Club magazine??
Its fine with me for one. Jus took one look at them and immediately scrapped my project! :mad:
Skiddel is goin super mod once he finds out how to map his throttle bodies! :D
So thats no cars in mod 240Z unless someone else pops up!
Will be there with the slick top! :)
Looks like Chunk will be there too. Although I didnt see a class for "modded wheelchairs" :confused:

chunk

Im not normal
Club Member
LOL, well if there is I'll loose pete, i think mine is past the mods satge and more suited to the scrapheap challenge than drag challenge.

Mike, all fine for me. BTW, my membership application will be with you shortly :D

All the best

Rich

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Bring it on

OK no more Mr Nice guy

Blue cars are faster ---- Einstein says so in his theory about his special relatives

Either way SlickPete, modified or super modified I'll still have a 240 thats quicker than yours, in fact I'll have a 240 thats quicker than your lardy ass slicktop :D :D :D whatever colour of the rainbow it is.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
could always do it on a points basis, ie a cam would attract 10 points, tripple carbs 10 points, 2.8 engines 250 points lol, :D

Mr.F

Inactive
O.K. - as a result of comments so far, I've made some minor adjustments:

Capacity should be stock for stock classes. 2.8 in a 240 / 260 is modified.

Capacity increases involving bore and/or stroke out of recommended specs = Super Modified, e.g. 3.1 L-series.

Injection throttle bodies as a modern replacement for Weber / D'ellorto and in the spirit of Clubman modification is Modified for now - this only currently affects one person and he can be a test case for future rule changes. Sub 14 second passes will be subject to scrutiny and discussion...however, the best Modified Z pass of 13.77 seconds was entirely within the spirit of the rules as they stand.

The only situation in which anyone might protest is if a car claiming to be "Modified" runs times significantly in excess of those seen in the past. Some areas are new, like stock and modified 350Z and stock Z32 NA where I don't have much info.