Drag Challenge 2013 - Provisional Dates

Mr.F

Inactive
Santa Pod are being a bit lax in confirming our status at JapShow, but to allow participants time to plan ahead, these are the proposed dates for 2013.

Round 1 - 21st April, Shakespeare County Raceway. Bracket challenge.
Round 2 - 12th May, North Weald, Heads-up Challenge
Round 3 - 29/30th June, Santa Pod Raceway JapShow 1. Hopefully Bracket challenge, maybe heads-up or if they back out altogether, back to RWYB and reaction times...
Round 4 - 14th July, North Weald, Heads-up Challenge
Round 5 - 28/29th September, Santa Pod Raceway JapShow 2 - as above...
Round 6 - 13th October, Shakespeare County Raceway. Bracket Challenge.

Rain0off Contingency Round - 27th October, Shakespeare County Raceway.

16th June available for Test and Tune at North Weald / SEKZ meeting?

Mr.G

Club Member
its come fast! Too soon for me, still need a few free weekends to get the car ready following new mods. I should be good for the May meet though.:thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
Should be ready. Just got to change the clutch, wire in a nitrous bottle heater and a new nitrous manual trigger switch, do a bit of welding on the front sill, and sort out a water catch can.

Bantambunny

Well-Known Forum User
I'll be in the Stagea the first round I reckon, the red devil is off the road as i've had a load of hassle changing the plates over so not going to be MOTd in time to go

johnymd

Club Member
Filled up the nos bottle and picked up a bottle heater today so shouldn't have to faf around trying to heat it up. The trip to Avon park should be enough to bed the clutch in a bit so I'm good to go and can't wait.

Wyn

Club Member
Got me a new gopro 3 camera so hope to get a few good snaps n vids this time

Say cheese :D

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hello everyone. Sad to say I'll miss the 1st this weekend - I've got an U13 cup final to attend.
see you in May.

Wyn

Club Member
Good man :thumbs:

Took mine out again today for a blast
Seems to be going well still so ... oil checked, water checked n tyres x4 check

See you there :D

...8am start is it :unsure:

johnymd

Club Member
Another great day out in the Z with good company thrown in. I won't go into details of the results as I'm sure Mike will be along with them. I did set a new PB though with a 11.56@126mph. Poor 60ft though as I couldn't brake the 2second barrier all day and most runs were around 2.1s. Several 11.7s though so it was fairly consistent.

Wyn

Club Member
Was a good day out
Car didn't break n nothing fell off which is good

John as usual pi55ed on me as did Paul :cheers:
Note to myself, must try harder next time :driving:

Many thanks for Mike for sorting it yet again :thumbs:

shrt vid ...

21413 - YouTube

Mr.F

Inactive
Round 1 Drag Challenge 2013

Four cars attended the inaugural meeting for the 2013 season, so the bracket racing was a bit curtailed.
After a morning's practice cut short by a Ford Pop shedding rods and oil at the top end, we had a one shot qualifier around midday. I confused everyone by selecting a Sportsman Tree (we've always had Pro Tree before), so qualifying saw three red lights! Ignoring that faux pas, qualifying order was:

1. John Palmer 11.654 at 127.97 mph (Z01 240Z 1JZE TT)
2. Wyn Freeman 12.755 at 111.21 mph (new personal best) (260Z RB25DET)
3. Paul Hopkinson 13.396 at 101.03 mph (300ZX Z32 TT)
4. Richard Trussell (new member and competitor with more or less stock 350Z) 14.417 at 99.55 mph. Richard was the only person not to red light during qualifying and pulled a more than respectable reaction time of 0.117 seconds!

Round 1 (semi-final really) saw John line up against newcomer Richard with nearly 3 seconds between their dial-ins (11.56 vs14.50). Unfortunately Richard's clutch pedal decided that this would be a good time to stay on the floor, spinning up the clutch and the car limping to a 32 second quarter mile at 29 mph! John progressed to the final.
Paul and Wyn paired up with rather less of a difference between them (13.20 vs 12.50). Wyn launched well and beat Paul's reaction time, but was unable to reach his earlier personal best time, fading to a 13.276 at 106.69. Paul was close to his dial-in with 13.391 at 105.06. Paul progressed to the final.

Round 2 (Final): Paul met John - after a great reaction time in the first round, John was testing the Sportsman Tree to the limits. Unfortunately this resulted in a BIG red light, handing the win to Paul on a plate. However, John took the opportunity to run a personal best time of 11.57 at 126.55 mph. Paul's win was with a 13.723 at 106.58.

showphoto.php

Points awarded for Bracket Race:
Paul 10
John 5
Wyn 3
Richard 3

2 points for attendance to all, including me (with 350Z) and Dean Bottriell (without Z).

Class points as follows:
Class 5: Paul 1 point (near PB with 13.1816 / 110.40 straight out of the box in the morning)
Class 6: Richard 1 point
Class 7: John 2 points (also PB 11.56 at 126.55), Wyn 1 point

Championship after one round:
1. Paul Hopkinson 13
2. John Palmer 9
3= Wyn Freeman 6
3= Richard Trussell 6
5= Mike Feeney 2
5= Dean Bottriell 2

Additional support provided by Katrina and Jessica Freeman who also helped with the videos and pictures.

Best reaction times as follows (no points for this at Bracket Race):
Richard 0.117
John 0.122
Paul 0.408
Wyn 0.555
11519d1366582473-drag-challenge-2013-provisional-dates-redlight2-jpg

Attachments

• redlight2.jpg
    redlight2.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator: