Double trouble.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well done, more info. please. Never mind job security put money into Zs! :thumbs:

What's that machine-gun thing sticking out of the dash?

richiep

Club Member
Machine gun thing! Hehe!

It's the glove box lock button. The dash is FUBAR. although that is totally immaterial given 99% likelihood that this scruffy old girl will see its steering wheel move from left to right. Lots of work to be done before we get to that stage though. In line with discussions recently, not all US imports are rust free!

Much of the shell is good, it just suffers from the common issues on many cheaper US imports of the floors needing replacement and battery tray damage (nice big hole there to sort). Unfortunately, it needs a bit more work than I'd ideally like to the right frame rail/inner wing, both under the battery area and near the rad support. There could be quite a bit of reconstructive surgery required to do it properly/invisibly. Plus a few other assorted bumps and bangs that will need hammer and dolly work. Still, the rear arches have all their original spot welds, there's no sunroof (although some dings to sort) and overall it's the kind of blank slate that will free me from the intellectual baggage of feeling like I'm not being suitably deferrential to the original car. In other words, it's most likely getting a resto-mod makeover and the ITB-injected hardcore 3.1L I've been acquiring goodies for over the last year or two. :devil:

Why this car? I could probably have got a better car from CA for not much more money, but this had several advantages. It was here in the UK with NOVA doc and Pennsylvania title present and accounted for. It was also only 25mins away from home in the garage of someone I know. It was Glen Valentine's (restorer of Zedboy's car 'Growler') brother Neil (neil240z on this forum). We were actually chatting at the Samuri Gathering about this car in May! Delivery cost us £30 each via someone based in Macc. Basically this one is staying in the Cheshire PlainZ family.

More photos to follow but don't expect rapid progress. This will be a slow burner fitting around family stuff etc. I might also use it as a project to add to my skills, including welding and fabrication, so I won't rush as I want everything to be exactly right on this one.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
crunch time for me rich is 2nd of nov test and scans not able to walk good driving is a no no the end of my expoilts 300zx has a new owner in the wings rest prob going same way if you need them use them

richiep

Club Member
Let's hope it doesn't come to that Phil, you have a great little car collection there and fingers crossed you can continue to enjoy them. We'll talk further after the 2nd.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
have had few near accidents not able to press brakes and two heavy falls injurys taking its toll tied lack of energy

uk66fastback

Club Member
Nice to hear you got one in the end Rich. I'd love the space to have the Z and a project Z ...

Looking forward to some pics of the whole car at some point ...

richiep

Club Member
Nice to hear you got one in the end Rich. I'd love the space to have the Z and a project Z ...

Looking forward to some pics of the whole car at some point ...

I'll put some up tomorrow. She ain't pretty! :eek:

One or two of you might recognise her from her brief stint on eBay recently (before I contacted Neil).

as I've suggested, this won't be a daily updates thread with gory pictures of every last rust spot for critical appraisal. I'm happy to dish it out, but can't be bothered with it coming back at me! :D also, I've had the car for less than 12 hours at this point and have to start auditing loose bits, cleaning it up and giving it a much more thorough going over to assess the project over the weekend. This will shortly be taking a backseat while I replace the head gasket on the Fairlady Z too, and make some other upgrades there. Never mind getting my Integra emissions-legal again! :(

BTW, what is it with idiot Americans and their habit of ruining Z floor pans and rails by jacking the cars up on the pans themselves? The LH floor has a couple of rust holes but mainly needs replacing because some dropkick caved it in, splitting it and the underfloor rail extension from the front frame rail (necessitating some jackass to do a messy weld up job to keep it together). Bunch of hacks!

JK240

Club Member
No need Rich I've already seen them. ;)

This often happens when people link to an external store of pics - security?

Ha ha good job there is no NSFW pics in there Richie... :lol::lol::lol:

Nice work by the way, wish I had the room and the money....

richiep

Club Member
Hehe, that photobucket just gets used mainly for forum photos and stuff for eBay, so nothing dodgy! Thus, you might now have seen the scale of the project. Some photos in my garage, a couple from before it was moved (hence the different wheels - Neil kept the nice Italian Ferrari-type ones!).

When I get a chance today, I need to go through all the bits in the boot and see what i've got, what's serviceable, what's for the bin, etc. Rather obviously, the car was partly dismantled previously. FYI, its a 72, and an auto.

richiep

Club Member
The garage could do with being bigger tbh! We need a shed building ASAP - the kids' bikes, scooters etc., are currently in the dining room...

I'll need some wheel dollies to pivot the project car around for access too. Ultimately I'll build something like that wooden frame Derrick is using with his 260Z project when the shell gets stripped enough.