Doors need welding - an easy fix?

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Hi all,

So I've been working away on jobs on the Z and I've got to one of them which is a bit of bodywork that needs doing.

On the bottom corner of both doors there's some patches of rust, and it's in quite an awkward place where the body line of the sill runs (photo taken from for sale listing which is why it shows the other bits of the door too):

Z_Ext_K.jpg

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to bodywork so I'm not sure what the best way to tackle this is. It's obviously going to need some metal cutting out, but it's very close to the lip where the door skin wraps around.

If you were going to do this job, how would you do it?

All advice appreciated as usual,

Simon

uk66fastback

Club Member
If you can make a template of the piece and can weld, then you can do this. If you've not done bodywork before this is an ideal bit to learn on as it isn't that complicated, isn't that big, isn't structural, so you can't really go wrong. Any repair like this will have a skim of filler anyway, so you can make it perfect later. Get it as good as you can though ... to keep the filler to a minimum.

It's a very satisfactory feeling to get little annoying bits like this done (and well).

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Leave a .5mm recess to account for heat warpage. Ie don’t weld it flush and try to use something for a heat soak. Work slowly, and tack all the way around over time. The less heat the better.

Also ensure you cut enough of the rot out back to solid steal or you’ll be chasing yourself and warping more of the panel.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Keep us posted, thats a brave move. Something that I'd love to be confident enough to have a go at!