door lock problems

chris frizzell

Club Member
hi all hope some one has some advice on door locks . my 280z has new lock as one was missing and i had no ket for the other one some got some new one off ebay . the problem is that one part of the doon lock plastic was broke this is on my passenger side but not a problen as it locks off the button . i had the driver side working until i put my new door cards on . not sure if its the card problem or the lock . it locks off the button but i cant turn the key all the way round . can it be a problem with the door latches ? as door is also sticking a little . any thorought would be greatful thanks chris

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I had a similar problem, I can't quite remember what I did but try swapping the rods over or make sure the pivot point where the inside door handle release rods goes to then up to lock.

Makesy

Club Member
@Rob Gaskin do I recall you mentioning having a similar issue a while ago? Was it to do with a bolt length somewhere?

I may be imagining things but if it is the issue I'm thinking of, I hope you can help each other :)

Alex

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
@Rob Gaskin do I recall you mentioning having a similar issue a while ago? Was it to do with a bolt length somewhere?

I may be imagining things but if it is the issue I'm thinking of, I hope you can help each other :)

Alex

I did have a locking problem which was indeed caused by a wrong length bolt fitted before I bought it. However I didn't realise this until I'd dismantled the door fittings, removed the window (and channels) and taken the lock out!

I think your problem may be due to slightly different door cards (or thinkness) which is preventing the door closing to the position it was in before.

Can you lock the door if you push it in with your knee (be careful not to dent it!)? If so the ratchet mechanism is not engaging to the 'lock' position but just the first 'safety latch'. You may need to adjust the striker plate outwards to sort it but the door may not align nicely then.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think I have remembered what was stopping the door from locking and it was the inside door release handle catching on the door card and it was not going all the way back as it was hitting on the door card and holding the door release handle slightly up.

chris frizzell

Club Member
thanks will have a look . what i have is that it locks for the button but when the door is closed the key will only turn so far . drivers door is a little out off line so this may not help and it harder to shut than the passenger side . so think its only some fine tuning with the strike plates . hope iam right has anyone had a similar problem ?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
thanks will have a look . what i have is that it locks for the button but when the door is closed the key will only turn so far . drivers door is a little out off line so this may not help and it harder to shut than the passenger side . so think its only some fine tuning with the strike plates . hope iam right has anyone had a similar problem ?

It sounds like what I said above.