Door External Weatherstrip

yellowz

Club Member
Hi Has anyone got a decent photo of a door without the external window weatherstrip on please?

I've tried to load a pic of what I mean. not sure it has worked.

My weatherstrips are really old and hardened up now. I have just replaced the window seal and the internal fuzzy strip to stop me going deaf with the noise. The last problem now is the weatherstrip rubber is really hard and looks to be scraping the window when it goes up and down (or down and up). I will have to fork out for new weatherstrips eventually but as an interim measure until I take the car off the road I'd like to try to use an all rubber strip. I'm sure I've seen a Z with this solution fitted.

I'd like to know what the fitment looks like before I take mine off so I can look for a suitable replacement and also find out how much metal should be there! Not sure I'll have the correct amount.

Thanks

Attachments

• weatherstrip.jpg
    weatherstrip.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 44

yellowz

Club Member
So I've noticed! I wanted to do a temporary fix and put the right item back on when the car is taken off the road. Not sure how many times you can take it off and put it back on again.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
So I've noticed! I wanted to do a temporary fix and put the right item back on when the car is taken off the road. Not sure how many times you can take it off and put it back on again.
Hey Yellowz

I know this was a while ago but did you replace the external fuzzy strip ?
I have got some replacement strips but I don't know where to start to get the old stuff off ?!

Any guidance would be helpful

yellowz

Club Member
Holy thread revival Jason that was a while back! Luckily have just done it again on a different Z

I did the external and internal strips at the same time

got this lot from Woolies

1658325427710.png

Take off the door card. This gives you access to prise out the weatherstrip gently.

Inside the weatherstrip runner you can see the staples that hold it all together. I ground them out with a Dremel. You can then remove the old strip and fixings.

I used the old strip to cut to length the new strip. Take care around the front end of the strip as this needs to fit inside the angle of the window. (Take a pic of your old one before removing)

I ground down the spring clips so they were flat edged and not rounded.

Offer up the new weatherstrip and push on the spring clips to hold it in place.

It should then just go back into its original fitting position.

Whilst I was at it I did the internal fuzzy strip as well and just used the same method. Both were non damaging so could be returned to original if need be.

Only thing i would do differently would be to buy a weatherstrip with a slightly longer reach.

Give me a shout if you need a better explanation. Whereabouts are you?

Attachments

• 20220720_151010.jpg
    20220720_151010.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220720_151021.jpg
    20220720_151021.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 12