Doing a RHD conversion

2023ZBuilderOwner

New Forum User
Hello Z owner club friends. Im a newbie so any help is welcome. Ive found a nice 280Z LHD in the USA that id like to import to my home in South Africa, Johannesburg. Im doing this purely for the love of this car for the last few years. It will be my first classic car project and i couldnt be more excited.

Could you guys help me, Id like to do a LHD to RHD conversion on it. (NOT mandatory at this point, ill see how she drives, but basically if i get too much stick from legal in south africa, since we drive on the left hand side, then ill convert.

What are your thoughts from a purely mechanical view and sound driving view. (im not going to be selling this car anytime ) and want to use it for my daily driving. Will it compromise any structural / mechanical workings, etc? no need for part list or whats involved, but maybe some major snags to avoid. Has anyone driven the LHD and then driven the converted RHD? any differences?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Left to right conversions are pretty common here - many of the build threads here feature it. There are panels available for the various bulkhead reinforcements. The hardest part is acquiring the RHD parts.

Mutey

Club Member
To add to this, with the recent additions to "historic" cars and there cant be any major changes made with the point scoring system, if you have an already registered LHD car whats the process behind updating the v5 to RHD? Will it have to undergo an inspection to keep its classification or is it a case of sending the DVLA letter stating its been converted and away you go?