Do I need to prime oil pump?

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Hi all,

I’ve done a full engine gasket refresh (and head rebuild) on my L26 which involved draining all the oil and removing the oil pump, oil pan etc.

I’ve just put the engine back in the car and filled it with oil. I hooked up a second jumper battery and turned the engine over on the starter for around 30 seconds but it didn’t build oil pressure on the gauge (it’s got an omori capillary gauge reading from a take off on an oil filter sandwich plate). I checked the camshaft (internally oiled) and there was no oil coming through the holes in the camshaft.

Now, I didn’t fill the oil pump with oil before refitting it so I’m wondering if this is the issue? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Also, the starter doesn’t turn the engine over very fast at all, which isn’t helping matters I don’t think.

I don’t really want to start the engine until I know it will definitely build oil pressure so I’m not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions, please?

Cheers,
Simon

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've always filled the oil pump first, but it does take quite a while to get the oil pressure up. I think it will get there eventually. I do think it needs to crank at a decent speed to get oil out of the cam oilers. Is the battery fully charged?

RawlinSTR

Club Member
I had it connected with jump leads to another car, with that car running, to be able to crank it over as long as I wanted.

In fact I cranked it for so long that my jump cables overheated and the insulation started to melt!

I have read on here and elsewhere that some like to just start the engine up to do this process but like I said I’m a bit wary of that.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
have you got the spark plugs in or out?
can you get a socket and ratchet on the damper bolt and turn it over with that? does it turn over easy enough?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeh I wouldn't try and run it.

I'm thinking the pump should have pulled oil through it by now.

Have a good look around.

RawlinSTR

Club Member
I’ve just pulled the pump off, it was bone dry.

Filled it with oil, turned it in my hand to remove the air, refitted, and I’ve now got oil coming out the cam oilers when I crank it with the starter motor.

Going to refit the cam cover now and then see if I can get it to show good oil pressure on the gauge whilst cranking it with the starter motor.

Thanks for the help all!