Dizzy woes, advice needed.

S30_Nut

Club Member
Happy Friday!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but with limited experience I would like some confirmation. Unfortunately Google has not given me the answers on this occasion.

Can anyone tell me if the stator should be able to freely wiggle about still? I would have thought that after setting the air gap it would be fixed in place. I can't seem to be able to tighten anything that would keep its position fixed.

The distributor is a D6k81-04 with the E12-80 module.

280zx_Dizzy_issues_D6K81-04_E12-80.png

This is from a FSM for reference:
280zx_FSM_Dizzy_D6K81-04_E12-80.png

It also seems that the rotor head is able to move on the shaft, not freely as such; but its not like there is only one installation position, the variance is pretty wide, ~10-15 degrees perhaps. This also does not seem correct to me.

Appreciate any help and advice you can offer.

Cheers, James.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think the stator on the breaker plate should be fixed but the rotor does have some movement. as you can see in the diagram, the top of the rotor is attached to the driven shaft by the mechanical advance weights and springs, so you can move the rotor through the mechanical advance range (and you should be able to feel a little spring resistance to it).

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I think the stator on the breaker plate should be fixed but the rotor does have some movement. as you can see in the diagram, the top of the rotor is attached to the driven shaft by the mechanical advance weights and springs, so you can move the rotor through the mechanical advance range (and you should be able to feel a little spring resistance to it).

I checked my spare out in the garage earlier and your spot on Jon

S30_Nut

Club Member
Thanks for the replies fellas.

You confirmed right off the bat that the rotor was... well.. ahem... shafted! (I'll see myself out). The rotor had 10-15 degrees of slop in it before it started to act on the mechanical advance mechanism. It had a really poor fit on the shaft, if that makes sense.

I stripped the distributor down some, turns out that the top part of the breaker plate that the stator and magnet fix to was no longer attached to the rest of the breaker plate. I'm not running vacuum advance so this part doesn't have to be functional, but I can't have it flopping around messing with the air gaps between the reluctor and stator.

I guess its time for a new distributor.

Thanks again for the advice, I learnt a lot today about distributors and that's awesome!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm not sure new ones are so easy to get hold of these days. It might be worth trying to repair the old one.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If not repairable, in spite of my minor grips with it, the 123 ignition distributor has really grown on me and I’m quite pleased with it.

S30_Nut

Club Member
I'm not sure new ones are so easy to get hold of these days. It might be worth trying to repair the old one.

It's unfortunate, but it doesn't look like it.

If not repairable, in spite of my minor grips with it, the 123 ignition distributor has really grown on me and I’m quite pleased with it.

Alik, thanks to your posts on the 123 Ignition, I feel equipped to tackle the job of installing it. In fact, I have already placed the order.

S30_Nut

Club Member
I'll give you £20 for the the broken one and see if I can repair it?

Thanks Jon, but I wouldn't mind repairing it myself, it might take a while to accumulate the parts it needs, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks Jon, but I wouldn't mind repairing it myself, it might take a while to accumulate the parts it needs, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.
Good luck, I dont suppose it needs too much. They're pretty simple really.