DIY Seat Refurbishment

Huw

Club Member
I have been meaning for a while to write up the seat refurbishment I did last summer on my 280ZX 2-seater ‘tombstone’ style seats. Thought it might be useful for anyone looking to do a similar job if a professional job is out of budget. My seats had become a bit ‘saggy’ and the covers had some nicks and small tears in the back. Plus, they no longer complemented the natural aesthetic and ambiance of the interior – gone to look shabby. I bought some covers from The Z Store to do a DIY interim fix until a professional job could be done. However, after doing the refurb on my seats I’m not sure I will bother with that now. The quality and fit of the covers I bought are very good. On removing the original covers, I found the seat cores and frames in poor condition so quite a bit of work was needed to restore them fully before the covers could be fitted.

Materials Required

The seat covers are pretty good quality with all the correct internal fixing pockets sewn in the right places (more about them later). They are available in all the correct colour combinations for the ZX, both in original velour, for the full funky 70’s feeling or in full vinyl if you like unfortunate noises when getting in and out of the car in shorts on hot days. Also available for the 2+2 as well. The instructions are a bit basic but it is mostly self-explanatory.

The hog rings are included to fix the covers to the frame and there are more than enough to do the job. A set of hog ring pliers are also included, they don’t look like they are up to the job but actually they work really well. It is however, worth getting a set of long nose hog ring pliers for some of the more difficult to reach fastenings needed. Saves on the need for profanities later.

Strip down

With the seats out of the car and the rails removed, the rear cushion needs to be removed from the base cushion. The seats break down really easily. The side trim over the seat recliner mechanism needs to comes off first. This is held on with three screws, one at the front, one on the recliner mechanism and a small one at the rear of the trim piece. On the other side of the seat a chrome dome-top nut needs removing to allow the rear seat frame to be pulled over the stud that the nut came off. The seat will now just pull apart. It is worth taping a plastic bag over the exposed recliner mechanism at this point. It is covered in a really sticky grease which will get everywhere later when fitting the new covers.
IMG_0012.JPG

Rear Cushion

With the seats apart, the rear cover can be peeled off the seat frame by turning it inside out as you pull it off. Hog rings need to be snipped at the of the bottom cushion first. These fasten to a set of wire rods running inside the cover and these rods need to be removed from the old cover to be reused later.

IMG_0013.JPG
The cover is held in place to the seat frame by three more wire rods to form the contorts of the lumber section and head rest.

IMG_0015.JPG

The hog rings need snipping off to allow the seat cover to be fully removed from the frame. Again, retain the rods for later. The rods that secure the cover at the head rest point are fastened to three raised tabs in the frame itself and are quite difficult to get at.

IMG_0026.JPG
With the cover off, the padding material can be removed to inspect the frame for any damage. It is not unusual for some of the supporting rods to have snapped off and need welding back on. The padding material, which is not very padded, can be slipped off the frame once the sponge on the lower rear part of the frame is gently pulled off the metal. It should be glued on, but may have separated over the years.

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG
Both my frames had broken lumber support rods, so they needed a spot of weld to repair them. Before I put the new covers on I added some extra padding to the seat by gluing sheets of ¼ inch foam to the side panels, and lumber areas. These had the edges slightly profiled by hand using a course grit sand paper. I also reapplied glue to the rear lower foam padding to secure it to the frame. If this step isn’t done, the padding material will not sit properly as the new cover is rolled onto the frame.

IMG_0049.JPG

Before the new cover goes on, there are a couple of things that need doing to make life easier. First, get the cover nice and warm and roll the cover inside out. I left mine in the sun for an hour or two. Second make sure the rods for the headrest and lumber attachments are threaded into the correct material pockets on the cover (it’s virtually impossible to do this after the first rod is secured to the frame otherwise). Finally, it’s worth bending a handful of the hog rings slightly closed, makes it easier to close them when you are running out of hands and questioning the covers parentage.

IMG_0028.JPG

The cover can now be rolled on to the seat frame like a big prophylactic until the first rod its level with the tabs on the frame. Make doubly sure you are fastening to the correct set of tabs as the set of tabs for the second rod are very close to them. I found it easier to use the long nose pliers to fasten the hog rings for the first rod. Make sure you squeeze them fully closed and the sharp ‘tangs’ are pointing toward the inside of the seat. Move on to the second rod. This one I found was quite tricky to get the rings in place and position the pliers to squeeze them shut (profanities are optional at this point). Smooth the cover over the frame as you roll it down, try not to pull it as you can pull the stitching if you are too heavy handed. The middle lumber rod is fairly easy to do. To fully close the new seat cover, the final rods need threading through the outer edge pockets and securing with hog rings. To get the cover to sit right and to fully fit the frame, you need to ‘slap’ the cover from the headrest toward the base with an open palm. This will get the cover to sit right rather than yanking on it and damaging the material. Sounds an odd thing to do but it works, plus it helps get rid of any pent-up aggression that has built up trying to get the headrest rods secured…….

There were a few wrinkles at the curve of the headrest but these have disappeared since the seat has been used several times

IMG_0029.JPG

Base Cushion to follow....

Last edited:

Huw

Club Member
Continued......

Base Cushion

The base cushion cover is easier to remove that the rear cushion. The edges of the cover again have rods that need to be removed and kept for reuse. The cover is held in place with hog rings around the edge of the base frame which need clipping off. Additional rods in the centre section of seat cover are fixed to the springs in the frame to give the cushion its shape, these need removing also. If these rods are in good condition they can again be reused.

Years of sweaty posteriors and general dampness had rotted the material pockets in the centre of my old seat cushions and the rods had gone quite rusty. I had to made new rods for the centre fixings (that’s where wire coat hangers come in) to fit the new covers.

IMG_0032.JPG

With the cover off, the foam core can be lifted off the frame. Mine, although quite unpleasant to look at, was in one piece but badly compressed. Underneath the foam there should be a layer of coir coconut type matting. This is used to share the load across the individual springs in the seat base. Mine had disintegrated leaving a mess in the car under the seat, but also no longer provided any support for the springs leading to ‘saggy’ seat bottom syndrome.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

First off was to revitalise the foam core. This is pretty easy to do with a hand-held steamer. Working from front to back, apply the steam for about a minute and move up a bit and repeat until all the foam core had been steamed. This really plumps up the foam like new (apart from the unappealing colour). I also stuck a new piece of ¼ inch foam sheet to the centre of the foam core, just to add a bit more padding in that area.

IMG_0041.JPG

To address the disintegrated coir stuff, I stitched two sheets of hessian across the frame to replace it. On top of this I added a sheet of ½ inch reconstituted foam sheet to give a bit of extra support to the old foam core. I cut holes in the new foam sheet in the same places as the coir sheet so I could get at the springs to attach the rods in the seat cover. The foam core can now be fitted on top ready for the cover.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

The cover can now be fitted, but as with the rear seat cover its worth repeating the preparation steps of warming it, fitting the centre cover rods in the material pockets and bending a handful of the hog rings. With the hessian sheet in place access to the springs proved difficult making a difficult job just that slightly more fun. Liberal use of profanity was used to lubricate this part of the assembly. However, it is well worth replacing the old material if it is starting to break down. As with the rear cushion, the cover is slapped into place rather than yanked about and attached with hog rings around rods in the edge of the covers. These are then attached to fixing points on the frame at the front and sides and to the springs at the rear of the seat.

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

I’m pretty pleased with the end result, the seats are so much more comfortable and supportive than before. The wrinkles that I couldn’t get out with all that slapping have reduced and all but disappeared with use. One thing I should have mentioned. The seats I bought to match my interior are advertised are blue velour and silver vinyl. However, the vinyl is actually a light grey colour. This don’t concern me as I’ve vinyl dyed all the vinyl interior panels in my car the same light grey colour, which I think goes well with the navy blue. The original ‘silver’ colour was badly discoloured anyway looking quite yellowed with age. Hope this little write up proves useful to someone else with similar seats. Its actually quite a simple job to do.

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited:

toopy

Club Member
Liberal use of profanity was used to lubricate this part of the assembly!

had me giggling away like an idiot, thanks for that. Best car faffing term I’ve heard in ages!

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Great write up Huw, would you have done anything differently if you could go back in time?

I may follow your guide as, i wish to add heating pads to both seats. Unsure how different my 240z seats would be (probably requires more lubricant)

Martin

Huw

Club Member
Thanks guys for your comments, appreciate it.

What would I have differently Martin, good question. Probably would have employed a helper to hold the foam pad in place when trying to secure the first rod on the base cushion. Damn thing would move just as you get everything lined up.

Happy to give you a hand if you attempt your own refurb as I’m just over the way.

Huw

uk66fastback

Club Member
Great write up Huw, would you have done anything differently if you could go back in time?

I may follow your guide as, i wish to add heating pads to both seats. Unsure how different my 240z seats would be (probably requires more lubricant)

Martin

If you install the heated seats, where would it be best to get the power from?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
If you install the heated seats, where would it be best to get the power from?
I'm not sure, I'm going to be redoing my wiring loom and will plan ahead. Was going to see if I can reporpose an oem stereo unit into switches. Put in a relay for it. Honestly I don't know physically where from though.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hurst seen this Huw - very nice work my friend. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]