DIY Paintless Dent Removal Kits

Ped

Club Member
Just tidied up some keyed scratches with a touch up paint pen and a buff with reasonable results on my old Volvo.

I am now thinking about getting a PDR kit (the glue on tabs type) to have a go at removing some dents from my old Volvo to get it a bit more presentable. Not after perfection just needs to look OK from a few feet away.

Have read mixed reviews on various kits out there. Has anyone used one of these or can recommend a kit?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I bought a cheapo off Amazon for about £60 with every tool imaginable - and it did the trick well pulling out a PO related dent close to the crease on the boot. The only thing that can be difficult is getting the glue off the paintwork sometimes.

What impressed me was how ridiculously strong the Audi panel metalwork is. By contrast I was once helping a friend with a dent in a hire car Vauxhall Astra and a tiny tap of the hammer caused a way bigger movement than I expected - really like it was tin foil!

Ped

Club Member
I bought a cheapo off Amazon for about £60 with every tool imaginable - and it did the trick well pulling out a PO related dent close to the crease on the boot. The only thing that can be difficult is getting the glue off the paintwork sometimes.

What impressed me was how ridiculously strong the Audi panel metalwork is. By contrast I was once helping a friend with a dent in a hire car Vauxhall Astra and a tiny tap of the hammer caused a way bigger movement than I expected - really like it was tin foil!
Thanks Ali, was yours a slider hammer type or a clamp puller type?

Ped

Club Member
This might give you some inspiration.

That's very impressive. A lot of the skill seems to be in understanding the order in which to pull the dent. Fortunately the dents on the Volvo are simple in comparison. Will have a go, how difficult can it be? :)

tyroguru

Club Member
This might give you some inspiration.

Wow - that's incredible. I would never have thought you could repair something like the damage shown in the video without replacing the whole panel. Maybe I should try and remove the dent in my BMW to test my learning - what could go wrong? :)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Ali, was yours a slider hammer type or a clamp puller type?

I had both in the kit. The clamp puller is what I used in the end. Having said that, I used the slide hammer on another car and it really wasn't very effective - the glue just broke off! I guess it depends on how tough the panel is.

Ped

Club Member
I had both in the kit. The clamp puller is what I used in the end. Having said that, I used the slide hammer on another car and it really wasn't very effective - the glue just broke off! I guess it depends on how tough the panel is.
I think the clamp puller type is worth a try. A bit worried I could overdo it with a slide hammer.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Agreed - the clamp thing does give you a good degree of control. The trick is to get the right size plastic insert on it - I found if you go too small, you introduce outdents inside the indent!!

Do you have a photo of the area you're trying to fix?

Ped

Club Member
I will see if I can get some pics, the car is covered in grit and dust. Only gave it a wash last week.