distributor to coil wire

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
my 260 has been upgraded in the past with a 280zx dizzy but i want to return it to standard. unfortunately the wiring has been butchered. on the 260 dizzy there is wiring with a 3 pin female plug. does anyone have the wiring with the 3 pin male plug which i think goes to the coil.?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think the standard 260z distributor has a 3 pin female plug:- mine certainly didn't. It just had the black low tension single wire from the coil.

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
firstly apologies to the commitee for not putting the original post in the classified section. i want to iron out a few problems with my z and feel i should return it to standard to see if that helps, plus i only do about 500 summer miles per year so going back to breaker points should'nt do any harm. my distributor has the code D609-56A stamped on and according to the haynes manual it's for cars fitted with emission control. does that mean it's a US spec type?

Attachments

• DSC00699.JPG
    DSC00699.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 27

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
here's another photo. the 3 wire's go into the dizzy & connect to something inside the cap. i've just bought the correct coil & ballast resistor to connect to this distributor. will it work or is this not the correct dizzy?

Attachments

• DSC00700.JPG
    DSC00700.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
no it has a 280zx one fitted at the mo. it's got that e-12 module and it's a lot bigger. the one in the photos is a spare which i was gonna put on but not sure i can remove this luminition thingy to take it back to standard.
so what's so bad about the original distributor? surely it was ok when new. is it because of the points that everyone upgrades to the 280 unit? as i said above i dont use it very often & just bought the correct coil. i'm prepared to change my mind & stick to the 280zx if someone can tell me why the 260z one is so bad.....

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think the standard 260z distributor is terrible. It's just that electronic is better than points 'cos you don't have to fiddle with it. Also perhaps it's more stable at high revs.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
no it has a 280zx one fitted at the mo. it's got that e-12 module and it's a lot bigger. the one in the photos is a spare which i was gonna put on but not sure i can remove this luminition thingy to take it back to standard.
so what's so bad about the original distributor? surely it was ok when new. is it because of the points that everyone upgrades to the 280 unit? as i said above i dont use it very often & just bought the correct coil. i'm prepared to change my mind & stick to the 280zx if someone can tell me why the 260z one is so bad.....

Stick with the zx dizzy which is proven to be far superior to the 240/260 points ones. Apart from being old school thinking the 240/260 dizzy is affected by any slop in the shaft which will affect ignition timiming and of course the points are wearing all the time. If you really want to go back to the 260 dizzy I would'nt think it's too much of a problem if you replace the ballast resistor, remove the lumenition transistor box and gubbins inside the dizzy. Of course you'll need the original breaker plate which should'nt be too hard to find ( I think I might even have one)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Why isn't the zx distributor susceptible to sloppy shafts out of interest?