Distributor - missing spring

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I took my distributor apart today to clean it out and grease it up and noticed that one of the counter-balance weights doesn't have a spring. Does anyone know what sort of effect this will have on the advance curve?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I believe that is what makes it a european dizzy. Advance curve is slightly faster.
Its standard.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers, that makes sense I suppose! I was wondering if someone had deliberately removed a spring to acheive something like that.

The part number is D609-56A and the specs I've found say it advances 9 degrees from 550rpm to 1200rpm - I take it that's distributor rpm, so that would be 1100-2400rpm on the engine?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That sounds more like the vacuum advance i think. Mechanical advance should add maybe 15 deg by 3500 rpm. (looking for total advance of around 35 by then fom memory)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Those are definitely specs for the mechanical advance, the vacuum specs are listed separately. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. I'll have to see what it does when I eventually get the radiator and exhaust bolted back on. Cheers for the info.