Different engines

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, stuff what wheels you've put on your Z, what engine replacements have been done in the past or are planned ?

For those who stay up late and have tired eyes, I'm talking different engines, not modifications !

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Somebody needs to do a BMW six pot conversion.

There, that said that then, didn't it?! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
I rather like the idea of keeping a straight six, good power and performance in a reasonable compact form.

IMHO of course :D

Cheers,
Rob

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Plus, you could use the common BMW six pot turbo diesel engine and get performance and economy too!....Their latest 3.0L diesel produces 218bhp, but... 369 ft lbs of Torque too!
Cheerz,
JEZ

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
I have that engine in my road car but chipped - phenominal performance for a diesel :) It is in a 530d sport and gets 44 to the gallon on a run

240z

Club Member
well my car has a 1jz-gte, as most of you know, but my ideal engine in this country would be the RB26. not for any performance reasons (the 1j can match the RB in that respect), only because of availability of parts and experience in this country...

in Australia it would be a different matter!

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Yep, I've got a 325TDS with chip, can see the best part of 500 miles out of a tank. It was even higher before the chip but not such huge fun. It has crossed my mind about sticking one in a Z - sacrilege :D

If going for a different BMW engine then the V10 in their new M5 is apparently a bit of a corker. Think the Z chassis would need a bit of strengthening though!

Cheers,
Rob

abas

Well-Known Forum User
There are quite a few people on hybridz who are trying 6 cylinder BMW conversions to (if you like ) get an up to date 6 cylinder 24V engine in a z.

Also some talk of trying to get 24V merc cylinder heads to go onto a z block (as they are both of merc origin).

I've said it before so I won't labour the point - Jag V12 - nice if you can get it to fit - Jag straight six, I'd prefer an e-type engine, but the XJ40 engines look llike a good candidate, and are easy to find.

If I was in the market ( which I am definitely not) would like to mimic the technology of the car's era, rather than to update to today's technology.

Ferrari V12? Didn't I hear something about someone fitting one in a z based GTO replica?

Andrew

Wyn

Club Member
Hows about an engine from a TVR Tuscan S, 4.0 Litre straight six
Max power 390bhp @ 7000 rpm
Max torque 310 ft.lbs @ 5250 rpm

cerb_speed_six_engine.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
A friend of mine in Japan measured up that particular possibility ( he had access to the complete drivetrain from a crashed TreVoR ).

Turned out that the gearstick would have been inside the dashboard even with the cam cover as close as poss to the firewall.

He didn't take it any further.

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm, slacker. The gearbox is only a Tremec T5, I'm sure a different Tremec box could be fitted, the TKO has 3 positions for the lever. Shouldn't be a problem. Course the Speed 6 has a few issues and does cost a fair bit to rebuild. I'd say the Speed 8 from the Cerbera would be a much more exciting option to go for. It also sounds like nothing else!

Cheers,
Rob

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldn't call him a 'slacker' personally.

He also found that the fairly extreme off-vertical angle of the engine would have caused problems with the installation. I don't know the details of this, but I have enough faith in his opinion to believe that it must be an important factor.

He went RB25 single turbo in the end.

Wyn

Club Member
Cosworth engine and box from the sierra?
Turbocharged 2.0ltr Dohc inline 4 - using its matching Borg Warner T5 gearbox they come with.
204bhp as std, later units had 220bhp @ 10psi
Few easy mods plus up the boost and you’ll have a reliable 330bhp odd from an otherwise std engine, or spend out big and go for the full 500+bhp jobby :D

Cosworth_engine_YBB.jpg

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Keeping it Nissan, there's always the Z31's VG30 Turbo engine, which I've seen in an early Z before....at Billing a couple of years ago!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Wyn

Club Member
Originally posted by Tony 260Z
Lovely, but there can't be too many of them around. And rather costly I would imagine :)

TVR.jpg

That is for breaking :eek:
Sure if you wanted it I could get you a price for the engine/box :D

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Albrecht
I wouldn't call him a 'slacker' personally.

Obviously 'slacker' in a purely Monty Python-esque manner ;)

He also found that the fairly extreme off-vertical angle of the engine would have caused problems with the installation. I don't know the details of this, but I have enough faith in his opinion to believe that it must be an important factor.

He went RB25 single turbo in the end.

The engine is fitted at a mad angle in the Tuscan due to packaging constraints under the slinky bonnet. There may be more room for a more vertical orientation in the Z. That would of course have a knock on effect in that the gear box would be rotated out of true but it's possible the bellhousing from the Cerbera V8 gearbox would mount up to the Speed 6 and restore the angles.

It's a lot of effort though, easy to see why he went for the more than addequate - any tragic to say more reliable - RB25.

Cheers,
Rob

abas

Well-Known Forum User
I wonder how much longer TVR will still produce these unique cars now that the company has been sold.

At some point in the future we will probably be seeing TVR's sharing floorpans and other production bits with some other more boring model similar to Jaguar/Ford