differences between a 260z and a 280z?

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Fella's (and Suzy!)

What are the differences between the above?...I know that:

The front bumper is different (horrible.)
engine bigger / fuel injected.(?)
left hand drive.
made for American market only.

Cheers,Si.

Last edited by a moderator:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Front indicators set into grill
Gross front valence
Smaller wheel well for space saver on late cars
Vented bonnet on later cars (think)

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
I gotta be honest, even though my 260 is awesome, I dont think a triple webered car is for me. I reckon a fuel injected car is my way forward...hence my interest in the 280.

My classic is for everyday use, around town and the like as well as other stuff (not interested in tracks or rallying though..)...ideally, a converted right hand drive 280 OR a 260 with a 2.8 and fuel injection would be the way forward?

Having said that, I gotta sell my 260 first!.....what kinda money am I looking at for the above?...

Cheers again, Simon.

Z Car Barbie

Well-Known Forum User
Which other differences are you interested in? Engine, Exterior, Interior ... there's a LOT of differences. ;)

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Are there that many differnces?...interested in all really!...I'm talking 280 not 280zx.

Cheers, Simon

Z Car Barbie

Well-Known Forum User
YAH, and I read correctly "280Z" (I've owned 3 of them), and stripped them all, including 240Z's, 280ZX's and 300ZX's. I can tell you the differences between those and the 260Z of which I personally know. Others can add to it. I'll make another post with the differences I know of shortly ... too many to list and remember at the moment ... have to think about it.

Z Car Barbie

Well-Known Forum User
Well, I'm actually considering the differences in the 280Z's as well:

*The front and rear bumpers are different for the 260Z, 75-76 280Z and 77-78 280Z.

*The horn pads are different in size and appearance for the 74-76 and 77-78 (one has a Z emblem and the other has a Datsun emblem).

*The glass tint for the front and rear windows (and size for the doors, if I recall correctly), are different for the 74-75 models and 76-78 models.

*Both door mechanisms are different for the 74-76 and 77-78 models.

*I believe the glove box doors are different as far as the logo - someone plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall them being the same.

*The hood release components are different between the 260Z and 280Z ... can't recall which years.

*The cargo size/area/shape is different between the 280Z models ... can't recall which years, but I think it starts with the 77 model when it changed.

*The gas caps and flaps are different - forgot which years it affects.

*The fuel pumps are different between the 74-75 and 76-78 models.

*Ummm, what else ... well, obviously the 2+0 and 2+2 models are different in various aspects.

I know there's more, but just cannot remember ... and I'm extremely exhausted ... should get some sleep. :)

**EDIT: Oh, one of the obvious that I completely forgot to mention is the 73 240Z to 74 260Z flat top carbs - they suck big-time! I can't recall if they were installed in the 280Z's, but they are absolutely horrible - hard to keep adjusted and can catch on fire in a heartbeat, plus they lower your overall HP! Ummm, well, now that I think about it ... it might have just been the U.S. that was corrupted by this emission crap ... and maybe not you, so please disregard the carb comment if it doesn't apply. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Andytt

Late UK 260Z from 77> same doors (latching / locking mechanism) as late 280Z also 77> (2 seater & 2+2)
Indicators in grille on 280 and smaller diameter spare wheel well (for inflated on demand spare) as described by Z head.
Fuel tank injection pump V engine located pump on 260
Most 280Z's have aircon never offered in the UK on 260Z's
5speed was option in the US on 280Z's in the UK all 260Z's has 5sp boxes
the interiors of late 77> 280Z's were identical to late 77> 260Z's except of course for position of steering wheel (for all those smart arses out there)
The late 280z does not have storage compartments behind the rear seats (early ones do) but it does have a raised floor in the hatch area similar to the Z32 twin turbo, for storage of odds and ends.
78 280Z's (like UK 260's) have different rear light interior trim covers to 77 280Z's
On the whole the late 280Z had more in common except for their engines with late UK spec Z's, similarly early 280Z's 75-76 had more in common with early UK 260Z's and even late 240Z's.
All 280z's like 260Z's had the R200 diff, in the US however ratios varied depending on gearbox (auto, 4sp & 5sp)
In summary the biggest fundamental difference between the UK 260Z and 280Z is the engine size and fuelling otherwise they share more similarities with age, for example late 280Z doors will fit straight on to a late 260Z while early 260Z's will not.
And as many UK Z owners are finding 280Z indicators are a neater solution than the afterthought bumper mounted indicators we had to tolerate on UK Z's.
The 'Ugly' US spec rear bumpers while well suited to London driving / parking can be easily swapped with US 240Z or UK Z bumpers. see my gallery for a silver 280Z with this mod.

A

Andytt

Why don't you sell him ya 260 Status??????? on second thoughts, silly question forget I asked it..................